Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overnight motel parking

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: overnight motel parking

I lock it and leave it. We vaguely thought about locking the bikes together but never got around to it. I have all kinds of insurance and that's what it's for....

I take all expensive stuff out of the bags and off the bike (Leather Jacket, Zumo, Digital Camera, etc.)

Heck the Deluxe didn't have any locks on the bags at all. Never had anyone even remotely bother the bike so far.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Zack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never a problem. Hey Jaystone where was the mountain picture taken? AWESOME!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I was parked at the Super8 near Spokane, Wa. and bike was covered in well lit parking lot near registration desk and lo and behold someone tried to steal it. They f*cked up the ignition lock so bad Icould not get my key in it tounlock the forks or start it. I had tohave my wifedrive the truck to Spokane and have a tow truck lift it into the back. I had insurance and ultimately would have been cheaper for me in the long run if they would have actually stolen it as they did about $700 worth of damage by the time it was done and my deductable was $500 so I would have gotten a new bike for $500 instead I paid $200 to get it fixed. I am certainit was a motel employee who had some friends try and steal it.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: texan321

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

I worried about this when I first started riding on overnight trips. I even went so far as to bring my bike into the room with me. Now, after fifty years of riding without a single instance of anyone bothering my bike, I don't worry about it. Take prudent precautions like locking the bike, having insurance, etc. and don't stay at the cheapest motel you can find in the worst part of town. At big bike rallys I see leather jackets laying on top of bikes and everything else and nothing seems to get stolen except whole bikes by professional thieves.
Totally agree with this,......................
Agreed also........I leave my helmet and jacket on the bike all the time and no one has ever touched them. Not saying I would do that overnight at a hotel but I certainly never worry about the bike being stolen........

Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
blackfinbob
Road Master

I just park close enough to take a shot and sleep with one eye and one curtain open.
b

Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you what not to do. Don't leave your bike alone, anywhere at anytime..Left this one parked behind Bonefish grill (WELL LIT) with a golf driving range right behind it, during Myrtle Beach bike week. Last time Iwould ever seeit.(It's the fancy blue Electra Glide )Cost me $35,000.00 cash money, because I didn't have liability coverage, and what I did not know is "THEFT" is covered under liability!! Expensive lesson. Your bike is NEVER safe..You CANNOT be carefull enough. Cops figured probably six people or solifted it up and threw it in the back of a pick up, maybe on top of a matress, drove around the corner and loaded it into the back of a trailer...2 years and not a trace........[:@][:@][:@]

Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I've only stayed in a motel once while on the bike, I have the thick HD cable lock i put through the front wheel and through the frame,it isnt rolling away,lock the forks,cover with a plain blk bike cover,out of sight out of mind and it isnt wet in the morning from the night dew,set the alarm,put on the pager and park it right in the middle of the side walk leading to my room(right outside the door)turn in for the night. i only worry about it being stolen until i fall asleep , LOL
I've added more insurance for my add-ons this past year,so my insurance coverage is good. if it is targeted and they want it,it will be gone in the morning. i've noticed alot of folks do nothing but get off their bikes and turn in,im guessing their bikes will be easier targets than mine(fingers crossed,lol)

Old 02-26-2008, 07:01 PM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll ask the desk clerk if I can park bythe door. If not get a good cable lock and lockit up with another bike if possible. Me and my wife both ride so its easy for me to lock to anotherbike.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM
candyx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quarter pound of C4 wired to a mercury switch under your seat, if someone attempts to take your bike during the night you'll be the first to know.After you pick up the peices and put them back in order you'll get a pretty good idea who it was who sat his *** on your bike,then call the insurance company and get a new bike.I wouldn't park it in front of your room either, make sure its like 20 spaces away from your door.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Geoff

Find acrack head. They'llsleep next to yourbike all night for $10.
Then when they wake up in the morning and need another hit.....they will rip off the bike.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
ORIGINAL: CoyoteJoe

So what do they do? Toss the bike in the back of a pickup and take off?? Hot wire it and ride off???

I've only had a bike for 1.5 years and I'm starting to take longer trips now. I was planning several overnighters in Wiscconson this summer. I'll be going to the 105th event also in Milwaukee. [ul][*]Stay at nice hotels in good areas[*]Park Near the entrance hotel or well lighted area[*]Cable the bikes together or to something strong[*]Remove all removeable items, like iPod, GPS, Gloves, Glasses[*]Lock bags and tour-pak[*]Lock the front forks[*]Put a cover over the bike[*]Arm the alarm system[*]Turn on the Alarm remote pager[*]Make sure insurance is paid up[*]Relax and have a good nights sleep[/ul]
I guess I should stop by the Honda dealer and pickup a couple Honda covers to fool them. I bet a Suzuki cover would work even better

am I missing anything???
Yea.....Yamaha.

Quick Reply: overnight motel parking