Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overnight motel parking

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:02 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: overnight motel parking

Have audible alarms on both bikes, sleep with .45 on nightstand. Other than that, I don't worry about it. Parking near hotel door is bonus.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Thunderchild
Cruiser

if somebody want something bad enough, there gonna get it. no matter how well you lock stuff up. like most have said....good insurance is best.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is to ride with someone who has a nicer bike than yours, and park beside them....

Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

So what do they do? Toss the bike in the back of a pickup and take off?? Hot wire it and ride off???

I've only had a bike for 1.5 years and I'm starting to take longer trips now. I was planning several overnighters in Wiscconson this summer. I'll be going to the 105th event also in Milwaukee.
[ul][*]Stay at nice hotels in good areas[*]Park Near the entrance hotel or well lighted area[*]Cable the bikes together or to something strong[*]Remove all removeable items, like iPod, GPS, Gloves, Glasses[*]Lock bags and tour-pak[*]Lock the front forks[*]Put a cover over the bike[*]Arm the alarm system[*]Turn on the Alarm remote pager[*]Make sure insurance is paid up[*]Relax and have a good nights sleep[/ul]
I guess I should stop by the Honda dealer and pickup a couple Honda covers to fool them. I bet a Suzuki cover would work even better

am I missing anything???

Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask at the desk, some places will let you park right up near the entrance. I have left many bikes parked outside and have yet to have anything happen. I also bring a cover just in case. Out of sight, out of mind kind of protection. Other than locking the forks, you shouldn't worry

Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

I always looked for a motel that I can keep the bike parked right in front of the room, and used a disc lock with a motionalarm built in, and a long red flag that makes it noticable. Cheap insurance. But if somebody wants it there going to get it, but if they have to work at something there just move on to an easier target.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:05 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You guys sure are putting a lot of faith in the motel desk clerks....My bike has been backed into twice while at a motel. The last time was by the desk clerk. Her and another employee sat it back up and put the cover back on. They didn't tell me. They even told the manager. I learned about it about 8 hours later after another guest told me. The clerk ended up not having a license or insurance. The manager ended up coughing up $1k for the damages.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I have ridden Honda Goldwings for years over 20 years.....and not a single time has anyone messed with it while it was covered (or uncovered)!
I have ridden my Fatboy for two years....no one has messed with it come to think of it.
Bottom line, you can not prevent the motel clerk from backing into your bike. You can not prevent someone from taking out two bolts and stealing your $700 seat.
Quick release windshield? (I saw it on e-bay). Fancy schmancy primary cover, brake reservoir cover, headlight ring? (yep.....they fit someones elses bike mighty nice.)
Cover the bike. When you get up in the middle of the night to pee......kind of look out the window.
Only so much you can do.........no sence worrying about what you can not control (WOW! Are those LEDs......?) LOL

Chuck

Lucky Scott
Cruiser

Wow, some great advice here. Insured, locked, alarmed, and get a good nights sleep. sounds like a plan.

txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I worried about this when I first started riding on overnight trips. I even went so far as to bring my bike into the room with me. Now, after fifty years of riding without a single instance of anyone bothering my bike, I don't worry about it. Take prudent precautions like locking the bike, having insurance, etc. and don't stay at the cheapest motel you can find in the worst part of town. At big bike rallys I see leather jackets laying on top of bikes and everything else and nothing seems to get stolen except whole bikes by professional thieves.

Quick Reply: overnight motel parking