Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best in fairing radio antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Bluerose
Default Best in fairing radio antenna?

Figuring I can just place the radio antenna in the fairing....seen it here form a few of you.

Did your reception change?
Best Antenna for this application?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best in fairing radio antenna?

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Figuring I can just place the radio antenna in the fairing....seen it here form a few of you.

Did your reception change?
Best Antenna for this application?

I have been wondering to same thing. The hidden antenna that I have been looking atis the Dakota Digital, Anyone know how good these work?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:59 PM
TRMRC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the reception changed - a bit.. I hardly listen to the radio, I always have my MP3 cds playin, but when I do turn the radio on, I get the channels that I would listen to normally. I live in New Hampshire, so , there are lots of trees, mountains, etc. BUT when Im in the City, it works Perfect. I got my amplified antenna from Auto Zone, I printed the page, went there and ordered it. It is 24.99 . I can't give u a link becuz you have to put your zip in, but go to Autozone.com and put this in:
Metra Electronics / Universal AM/FM Hide-Away Amplified Antenna
Part Number:
44-UA20

My buddy has the Dakota one, we get the same channels when we compared, so save your money and get this one.

PS, Im typing this on lots of cold medicine, so I apologize if messed up..lol

Have fun

06 SG

Old 02-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Itried the Tune Trapper in my fairing while sitting in my garage.I scanned for stations with the stock whipI got 8. I hooked up the Tune Trapper scanned again only got5.So I took it out and am still looking for something myself.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:07 PM
harleykris
Tourer

I use one from Pep Boys, 19.99. It's powered and seems to work pretty well. But I usually use an ipod on the open road anyhow. Nice not having all that antenna stuff on the back.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:19 PM
PEZ
Tourer

I did some testing on this one.......

Of the ones I tested, the tune trapper was the best but it was also the physicall biggest and MAY be harder to squeeze in. I do have Biketronics Hogtenna's in my displays and thy work very well, but didnt have displays near by at the time to test Hogtenna against the tune trapper. At $35 for the Hogtenna, and about th same for Tune Trapper--I can say I think either of those is a WAYYYYYY better deal than the +$80 for the Dakota Digital! I havent seen anything that works as well as the Moco antenna..........

PEZ

Old 02-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MMCNH

Yes the reception changed - a bit.. I hardly listen to the radio, I always have my MP3 cds playin, but when I do turn the radio on, I get the channels that I would listen to normally. I live in New Hampshire, so , there are lots of trees, mountains, etc. BUT when Im in the City, it works Perfect. I got my amplified antenna from Auto Zone, I printed the page, went there and ordered it. It is 24.99 . I can't give u a link becuz you have to put your zip in, but go to Autozone.com and put this in:
Metra Electronics / Universal AM/FM Hide-Away Amplified Antenna
Part Number:
44-UA20

My buddy has the Dakota one, we get the same channels when we compared, so save your money and get this one.

PS, Im typing this on lots of cold medicine, so I apologize if messed up..lol

Have fun

06 SG

Thanks MMCNH I am from Manchester also. It seems I am constantly scanning for channels once I leave the city. I don't want to loose any reception.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:31 PM
koga
Cruiser

This is the one I installed. http://http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...p;classNum=722

Sorry bout the huge link. Anyhow, I ran it from the radio to the inside upper lip of the inner fairing. One side has the stickyback so it is easy to install. I have had it installed for about a year and it has not fallen off yet. It works very well, no complaints

Old 02-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Bluerose

hmmm... tough choice. I listen to Jack-FMmost ofthe time up to about 100 miles out of L.A.I have the iPod hookups but I haven't really used it yet. S far if I have had reception issues I've just turned it off..[&:]

Adding the Zumo soon so I figure the will do most of whatI want for the tunes in remote areas...I do like the radio at times though.

Wonder if it affect the weather station reception?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
THNDR
Cruiser

I had the Dakoda Digital and took it out because my reception totally sucked! I am also in NH and I like to listen to the Red Sox & Pats games when I ride, but no luck with the DD. $80 down the tubes!!! I had to put the stock ant back on. I hate it on there, but I guess I don't have a choice. I did cut the stock ant down 13" before I put it back on, and cutting it didn't hurt reception at all. I also have an ipod that I listen to 98% of the time, so the ant is strickly for the games. Bummer but oh well. Loved not having to deal with it, and the looks were much cleaner without it on there.
With the DD in the fairing, I couldn't get a singleweather station either!

Quick Reply: Best in fairing radio antenna?