Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best in fairing radio antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 PM
TRMRC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best in fairing radio antenna?

I do get the weather stations ok. Nothing beats the whip, either the long one or the new smaller one that comes on the Street Glide (RG too I think), alot of guys are putting that on, it is short money and works GREAT.

Lots of NH riders here..cool..This freakin snows gotta go.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the moco whip is probably the best out there, it seams. Even with mine cut down to about 14" long, it still has not problems whatsoever. Now, that being said, I have a SG fascia on the way so I just ordered the TuneTrapper tonight. I am going to remove my stock whip and tuck the antena lead up into the bike. I'll try out the TT and see how it works. If it is junk, I'll sell it and put my stock whip back in place with a SG antena bracket.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 PM
maxflhx
Tourer

[:@]I installed the tune trapper last weekend, the stocker is going back on this weekend!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:57 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

This one works better than the Tune Trapper AND it works well with the weather band.
ORIGINAL: harleykris

I use one from Pep Boys, 19.99. It's powered and seems to work pretty well. But I usually use an ipod on the open road anyhow. Nice not having all that antenna stuff on the back.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

AM FM antenna Tune Trapper
Works good on my bike

Trucky911

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I have the Dakotadigital, reception is pretty good but the weather channels are non existent.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:47 AM
glide_rider59
2nd Gear

Bought a Tune Trapper from ecsHylites and installed in the fairing shortly after getting my 07 FLHX. Loved the look it gave the bike and ran it for six months but during that time I noticed going under overpasses I'd lose reception. Finally got tired of it and got a shorty antenna from the local auto parts store. Got more than just a straight whip, got one that is wound up a little like a spring so it gives a little bit of a custom touch and it only sticks up about a foot above the rear fascia. Perfect reception on all channels, AM, FM, WB. I listen to all radio and jump channels a lot so I know this one works fine in all cases.
Just my experiences.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

New Hampshire rider here as well,deerfield area.

I have the tunetrapper antenna in my fairing,I have nothing to compare it to being my bike is a former police bike and had no antenna or radio till i put it in. im using the sony CDX 5710 stereo with the tunetrapper TT2C2, I dont really find it much good from about Alton,NH and north(for you NH guys) I tend to carry CD's with me for music because i cant draw in many signals with this antenna in the fairing,locally in works fine,but add more hills,tree's and valley's and it time for the CD's,I recently bought a zumo 550 so my music will be played via the zumo and a SD card wired to my stereo.
When i installed my tour pak,i toy'd with the idea of the whip antenna,but felt it would be a pain in the a$$ being poked in the face,tying it down to put my bike in the trailer(no garage or shed) so i guess i've been pleased with the tunetrapper in general up until now,when i have more options available to meas far as tunes for the ride,i'll keep it installed just for those times i want some good ole radio listening,i probally wouldnt buy it again if i was going to install one in the fairing,they are large and tough to zip tie out of the way.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:44 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Beverly,

I have had the opportunity to use the Tune Trapper, the Dakota Digital, and another brand(powered) that I don't remember, but got from a boat place for 34.00. I used them all on the same bike on the same day, and compared them to the factory whip.

The factory whip is going to give you the best reception, and after that, there is not much difference. The Dakota Digital was slightly better in my comparison, but not enough to justify the extra cost of about 50.00.

While none of the hidden antennas are quite as good as the whip, the clean look is worth a little less reception for me. Plus, I am partial to XM radio and seldom use the AM/FM on my bike.

Bill

Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 AM
BlackGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Trucky911

AM FM antenna Tune Trapper
Works good on my bike

Trucky911
I have the Tune Trapper also, no real problems to report. Has been installed over a year now. Works Fine for me.

Quick Reply: Best in fairing radio antenna?