Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta to Key West the long way...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Atlanta to Key West the long way...

Had a week on my own, so decided to take a little ride from Atlanta to Key West. Here are some highlights from the trip:

The Route: The goal was to go from Atlanta to Key West and back in four days and avoid the interstates as much as possible. That worked out pretty well, except that I had to hole up one extra night because of storms and we chose to use the interstate in a couple of places to avoid congested city centers or make some miles. Total mileage was 1808, with a couple of 500 mile days.

The Weather: I left Atlanta on Monday 2/18 after an evening of significant thundershowers. It was sunny and mild on Monday morning, but at Valdosta I hit rain. It rained off and on until Tampa. From Tampa to Key West was overcast, but only about 25 miles of rain. From Key West to Orlando on Wednesday was sunny and partly cloudy. Thursday it rained the entire way from Orlando to Tifton, Georgia where I had to hole up in a hotel to get out of the severe storms. Friday it rained all the way from Tifton to Atlanta. So all in all a pretty rainy trip.

The Equipment: Garmin Zumo 550 - indispensable in helping us find our way and offering some alternative routes. It was great to be able to forecast arrival times and keep track of average speeds and whatnot. Olympia AST Jacket and Overpants - really good gear of high quality, but couldn't cope with 8 hours of driving rain; "breathable" fabric means that at 70 mph rain WILL soak through. I liked the field jacket type pockets which were waterproof and useful for wallet, keys, earplugs, etc. Shoei X-11 full-face helmet - superb! On a long trip like this, the extra protection and comfort really meant a lot. It's not waterproof though - all the vents had a tendancy to leak during the worst of the storms. HD Waterproof Boots - very comfortable, but not even close to being waterproof. I suppose that it's asking a lot for any gear to function perfectly at such extreme weather, but these were a disappointment. They sure are comfortable in dry weather though. HD GoreTex Insulated Gloves - nope; like everything else they leaked after a few hours. They fit well though, and are comfortable. Earplugs - I'll never ride without them again! They really helped reduce fatigue and made the ride much more enjoyable. Ortlieb Waterproof Duffle - superb: absolutely waterproof and of terrific quality - a real delight. Mine is 21 incheslong by about 12 inches wide and fit the detachable two up luggage rack well. Mustang Rider Backrest - could not imagine a ride without it! I think a backrest messes up the smooth lines of the bike, but it sure is comfortable. It was great to put the feet up on the highway pegs and lean back on the backrest - very relaxing. Cruise Control - I did not imagine that I would learn to depend on this feature as much as I did. It really helped to be able toreposition my right hand during long stretches and to drop it alongside the engine during the cold and wetride home. I learnedthat I couldride with one hand on the handlebar and the other in my lap to protect it from the rain and wind. Really increased the comfort.

The Bike: The 2008 Road Glide has now become my favorite touring mount. Not a single problem for the whole trip and the 103" kit provided terrific power. At one time during the ride we had a strong headwind and sidewind, and the frame-mounted fairing helped the bike to remain very stable and comfortable. I really like the size of the fairing and its forward position - made the bike feel very roomy and comfortable. The Dunlop D402 tir

Old 02-22-2008, 04:03 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: Atlanta to Key West the long way...

That is an outstanding thread.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 02-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That wasquite a ride! I have wanted to do that ride for some time.By the way my name is John and I am a pastor that lives inAtlanta.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
prc1333
Tourer

Thanks for the detailed story. I appreciate it. Sorry about the rain, but rain happens. I really like that photo of the southern most point on US soil. I appreciate the time you spent.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

Great review and trip....I've ridden from East Tennessee to the Keys a few time's myself. Earplugs...started useing the a couple of years ago and can't seem to ride without them anymore. Boots....I have a pair of BMW boots that I bought 12 years ago and have been thru 5 sold days of rain and still stayed dry and still are in great shape (but do need to be resoled). Gloves..well I've tried alot and they all get wet... best bet is a set of waterproff overgloves (Aerostitch)..slip over your regular gloves and won't leak.... Full face helmet...rode on a 7,000 mile trip with one and now can't ride with anything else. Put the safety issue aside, I just fine them much more comfortable on long ride (plus my contacts do much better with them). Ps....great looking bike. While I'm on a Yamaha FJR now I really like the Road Glides. Rented one for a day and was very impressed with it.

Gary
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
pirateheadman
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that is my dream trip! I live in Atlanta also and am thinking about doing that ride. Thanks for the great info and wonderful pictures!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:09 PM
quackhead
Road Master

sounds like a fun trip. up here in illinois a ride likethat is out of the question rite now.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:11 PM
UltraDave
Road Captain

Great story and it was like I was there with you.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Great Post You should be a writer..

Old 02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Most people who ride/drive Florida toll roads have a transponder that deducts money automatically from an account you set up.
You may have see lanes at toll boothes labeled "easy pass" (or something similar).
Glad you had a good time while here.
While riding in Florida.....just ASSUME it is going to rain. It may or may not.....
We are still in our 'dry season' and it rained for a half hour today.....but the temperature was 78 degrees. I just have to deal with it I guess! LOL

Chuck

Quick Reply: Atlanta to Key West the long way...