Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta to Key West the long way...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Stevtt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Atlanta to Key West the long way...

Where would a person get this easypass?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a great post and thank you, for posting
my brother in law and I are doing a similar trip the other way around leaving miami and going to helen georgia and then back, I would love to know what was the route you took from atlanta to at least miami..We are thinking maybe even going to the dragons tail then coming back down thru the east coast, we will take a week for the complete trip.
Just for future purposes to anyone here reading this story if you ever come to florida and plan on riding thru the state you can buy what is called a sunpass, you can buy it in any visitor center, drugstores or publix big supermarket company, you buy it and can call an 800 number and replenish it thru your credit card, by doing this you can travel all over and not worry about going thru tolls, usually 40 doallrs will give you plenty of coverage to go from the north all to way to the south and back and still have money left over for the next trip.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:07 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stuff Pastor John, me and the bride rode to Key West from VA last April and enjoyed it thoroughly. Key West is a neat place to visit.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post!

I make the trip from Maryland to Key West twice a year and I've learned to treat toll roads like strip clubs, have a hand full of dollar bills in your outside pocket. Best ride down the Fl Turnpike was a couple day after Hurricane Wilma (Oct 2005), all tolls were suspended and you didn't even have to stop.

Boots: Give those HD boots to a needy homeless guy and get a pair of Red Wings. I haven't had a wet sock since I switched.

I'm with you on the Zumo, it will take you places you normally wouldn't go and gives you a sense of security when it comes to finding gas stations in strange places.

Anyone who hasn't done a Keys trip should put it on their Bucket List.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Jager
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post, John. It was nice to vicariously enjoy your trip. I'm really looking forward to some trips in a few months on my new Road King. But in the meantime it's great to enjoy the virtual journey of folks like yourself!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:20 PM
mudbone13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice trip report !!!!!! Wish we had more of these posts in the wintertime. BTW, what type of ear plugs do you recommend or use?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello Pastor John,

Enjoyed reading about your trip. I live on the opposite side of Lake Okeechobee than you went. Yep! 441 is pretty bad through there and Belle Glade and Pahokee has changed alot since the 60s.

Thanks again for sharing.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awsome post Pastor John, I really enjoyed it asI look out the window and see snow. Its very nice to see and read about rides like yours. I am curiuos, how did you dry out your jacket, feet/boots/hands after getting so wet? Or did you just give up and ride wet?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great recap of the trip as well as the insight to the equipment and clothes you were using. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Al, here's the route I took from Atlanta to Miami. I had to go to Tampa to fetch my buddy, so you may want to come up the east side instead: I live in Jonesboro on the south side of Atlanta. I took US 341 south to Perry, and then US 41 all the way to Tampa. From Tampa we took I-75 down to Naples and the Tamiami Trail (US 41) to FL 997, then down thru Homestead to Key Largo. Coming back up, we took FL 997 all the way upto the intersection with US 27 and then north to Belle Glade. Then US 441 around the east side of Lake Okeechobee and north to the intersection with the FL Turnpike. From there I stopped in Orlando overnight and took the turnpike to Ocala. At Ocala I took US 27 to Williston and then retraced my original route up US 41 and US 341. It was a great route.

Mudbone, I just use the cheap foam earplugs that you roll in your fingers to make them small enough to fit in your ear canal. They work well for me, and I change to a new set each day.

Hoffy, the Olympia outerwear dries very quickly as it is cordura and does not absorb water. Although it rained on the southbound portion of the trip, it was only for an hour or so at a time and everything dried out in the wind when it stopped raining. From Orlando northbound on the return leg it rained non-stop, so there was no chance for the wind to dry out the gear. So I crashed in a hotel in Tifton (about halfway between Orlando and Atlanta) and dried everything with the hotel heater. So when I got up this morning I had dry gear - but within a couple of hours of torrential downpour everything was soaked again and I made the last hundred miles feeling pretty uncomfortable. This is not necessarily a negative reflection on the gear - I was riding through the "yellow and red" zones of the radar and I don't think anything could have withstood those heavy rains.

Quick Reply: Atlanta to Key West the long way...