Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil vs. Syn3

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Amsoil vs. Syn3

Syn3 is expensive
Mobil 1 is cheaper and available at Autozone
Amsoil is cheaper even yet (Not readily available on the shelf)
Redline don't know anything about

Sent my Syn3 in to Blackstone after 3k. According to them it was still oil.And stilla 20w-50. Have seen an Amsoil report from a Goldwing. The 10w-40 was a 10w-30 after 5k. Probably not a big deal. But shows that Amsoil is a little short on their claim that it doesn't lose viscosity.

They all meet the spec's of the manufacturer. And should properly lubricate your engine.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:59 AM
FXWGG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rde

Syn3 is made by Citgo and sold by HD. Why would you allow Hugo Chavez to profit from your choice of motorcycle oils? That alone is reason enough not to use Syn3 IMHO.

I use Amsoil 20W-50 in engine and primary, and 75W-90 in tranny.
What he Said! Only I use Amsoil 20w50 in the motor and primary and Amsoil 75/140 in the tranny. You cant beat Amsoil. Read their white paper report on oils.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:06 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Chicago Spike

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

This is the bike oil study done, NOT by AMSOIL but by an independant lab.
What lab performed these tests? I didn't see it in the report.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

It is signed by a David Leitten, which based on a publically filed 8K (report of change in financial situation I believe) he is President of Wellman Dynamics Corporation, which is affiliated with Fansteel Inc.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
emclay
3rd Gear

I may as well add my 2 cents to the discussion..., I had the same questions when I bought my 05 Road King and talked to anyone who would answer my questions. When I rolled my ride out of the showroom, it had all the standard Harley oils in her (no SYN3 or anything). After the first 1,000 miles, I shifted to SYN3 in all three holes, but also heard the talk about it being too thin which, on a cold start, can cause excessive wear. In my own experience I was onlyconcerned with the tranny, because it seemed to be more clunky and shifting was louder with the SYN3. When I went back for the 5,000 mile check, I asked around and all the Harley mechanics recommended I go to Bel-Ray in the tranny. The one they sold in the dealerships was Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 85W-140), andan immediate improvement in quiet shifting was noticed. To quote their own sales pitch "Bel-Ray Gear Saver Hypoid Gear Oil is formulated for sliding contacts of spiral bevel gears in differentials and shaft drive transmissions. It provides superior lubricity and anti-wear, added power, smooth shifting and gear protection.
Grades: 80W-90,85W-140,90" They also have a V-Twin section http://www.belray.com/consumer/produ...?vehicle=vtwin
that lists their oils for any bike application and I may switch to the Big Twin Transmission Oil, but I swear by this product in the tranny. As to the SYN3, the only other change I made, to quiet the nay-sayers, was to add Lucas Oil Extender to the engine (20%-25%) so as to have that little extra for cold starts. It can be used with synthetics, so I tried it. I have since changed my all my oils every 5k even though the Oil Extender says you can go to 10k, but I wasn't chancing it that far.

By now everyone is saying "So what?" Well, my ultimate test came last week when I pulled the cover off to check my cam chain tensioners. With over 25k on my ride, and all the concern about those puppies going out between 25k and 35k, I figured I better check 'em, check for runout to see if I could put on gear cams, and put inadjustable pushrods. Bottom line is wear was minimal on both tensioners, the support plate and chains looks like new, I'm going to Andrews 26G cams in the fall, and I have no problem in taking my ride to Sturgis this year. Bel-Ray and SYN3 are working for me.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As for synthetics being too thin??? Really, people say this?? That is another great line of BSthat I have to remember

Yep, synthetic seems to be thin and that is great on a cold morning at start-up as the oil will beable to get to the moving parts all that much faster. As to it being too thin as to cause excessive engine wear...HA!!
The fact is, synthetics are ENGINEERED to do a job. It does this job far, far better than any natural oil because it was made to exceedeall natural oils in engines. It has far bettershear stability(does NOT break down like the dealer has told you ) than a natural oil.

Use any oil you like, but synthetics are far better at doing the job of protection than natural oil

Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

It is signed by a David Leitten, which based on a publically filed 8K (report of change in financial situation I believe) he is President of Wellman Dynamics Corporation, which is affiliated with Fansteel Inc.

Or it could be this David Leitten. Amsoil's Laboratory director. Hardly independant in my estimation.

http://www.zoominfo.com/Search/Perso...sonID=44597626

Old 02-23-2008, 12:59 PM
gdkenoyer
Tourer

ORIGINAL: davlyo
I am considering using Amsoil in its place. Does anyone have any insight to share with me?
There's a whole bunch of insight on this topic in the Oil Forum. You might start by looking thru the sticky post titled What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike
-what should I put in my Transmission and my Primary?
And when you're done with the above,read thruWhat TRANS oil do you use?, then scan thruEngine Oil vs Gear Oil, and of course readWhat Primary Oil is your Choice
Can anyone suggest a non-HD oil filter?
And finally move along to What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Once you've exhausted those, search or scroll thru all the non-sticky topics below.