Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering my baby

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:10 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trailering my baby

ORIGINAL: IBEW505

Headed to Datona myself . Trailering two bikes 1 SG , 1RK on 7x12 . I use www.lockandloadusa.com .Coast is higher than straps but alot easer for one rider to load and unload. Alot safer for myStreet Glide and buddies Road King both 07s .
First I've seen that..pretty slick. Do you still use tie downs with it? Wheel chock?

Old 02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: the reverend

Just a word of caution... make extremely sure that where you hook on to the bike, the hook can't possibly shift into a place that it can get lodged...
Don't ask how I know... lets just say 3 hacksaw blades later, I got my bike off the trailer!
Have fun in Sturgis... went out last year, so doing a different big ride this year... ALASKA!

HOOKS?? [:-] Holy crap, please tell me that his happened long before they invented soft ties?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:20 PM
quackhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: UpOn2

I rarely trailer but when I do I use two sets on the handlebars (or forks depending on the type of bike), one going forward and one to the side because several years ago I let my son take my Bourget in an enclosed trailer and they only used 1 set to the bars. Guess what, one of the hooks, yes the 5/16" type from a well known maker, not the cheap stuff, broke in half. Fortunately the bars would lean on the trailer wall and no damage was done. Since then it's 2 sets on each bike in the front and one set on the rear.
ditto

Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Marty 124
Cruiser

I'm going to try to explain my tip w/out a picture. I use HD wrapson the bars & frame of themachine so no chance of marking up the machine. I then use the tie down straps from the HD wraps to the trailer. Now the tip: Onthe wratchet strap itself,,,,, each end has a "hook" and an eye hole (typically black in color),, then the nylon and the wratchet. After the machine is tied down, I take a strong & tight bungy chord and attach it to both ends of the eye holes of the respective tie downs. The reason is if/when a you hit a large bump, the suspension on the bike may compress further than the tie downs are holding the bike. When this occurs, the tie downswill then have slack in the nylon during this split second....... It may cause a "hook" to disengage and the bike is on it's side.... But, the strong & tight bungy chords attached to each eye hole will keep both "hooks" in place, even if there is slack in the nylon of the tie downs. As soon as the suspension rebounds, the slack in the nylon is gone, the tie down straps are again doing their job.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:13 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Why attach to a point above the suspension in the first place? If you attach below the front suspension at the fender mounting point the straps are always tight and there is no chance of any slack in the strap when you hit a "bump" because you are allowing the bike to ride its suspension and keeping it absolutely secure at the same time. IMO attaching to the handle bars is not a very secure point. They are held in place by 2 clamps, are 1" in diameter, hollow and very thin walled. Any good shock or constant vibration could possibly cause the bars to rotate down in their clamp cradle or fatigue the bars themselves. Not my choice for a secure tie off point.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There was an ad in the Enthusiast this month that looked like it is what you are looking for. Nice air adjustable for loading vs. trailering height. they say that no ramps are needed and the cover is rounded over the bikes.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Rick 547
Tourer

soos, I have looked at your pictures and I have a question. By hooking around the front fork above the fender does it cause a problem with the paint on the fender?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rick 547

soos, I have looked at your pictures and I have a question. By hooking around the front fork above the fender does it cause a problem with the paint on the fender?
No

Old 02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

[sm=icon_quiet.gif] Bad knee pffffffffft!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 PM
dietdewboy
Tourer

What about useing the engine guard as a front attackment point?

Quick Reply: Trailering my baby