Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Question. Good deal? Tires Included?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Extended Warranty Question. Good deal? Tires Included?

Sales are SOFT right now - Some dealers are throwing in the 5 year for FREE to just close the deal.....

Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil Changes at my dealer are 29.95 and set of tires 150 each. I'm not a good with Math but that's almost 3/4 less then $1900. However,If your can afford it's a good deal. If you I like it I love it.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Regards,Tom

Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
madmikee
Tourer

Youneed to make sure what they are offering. Is this just a maintenance program with tires, or an extended warranty with maintenance too.
Ask more questions. Get more detail.

Even if this is both, the price is to high.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to work on my bike so i have the full warranty. Something breaks i drop it off at the dealer and launch my boat. Only you know whats going to work for you.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Pacemaker
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my opinion, what ever it's worth, probably not even 2cent.

If your going to do a lot of riding, get the extended warranty. My extended warranty paid for itself twice over. I kept up with all the 10,000 mile checkup intervals with the dealer, so not to void any part of my warranty.
When I get back from Daytona my bike goes in for the 70,000 mile checkup.

As for the service plan, I didn't purchaseone. So,the thousand mile checkup in 2002 cost me $222.00 at ten thousand miles it was $791.68 with a rear tire. Also, checkto see if the inspectionfor thecam chain tensioner shoesare included with the service plan, that about a$100.00 plus job.

Forget the sealant.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 PM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=yikesomg.gif]$1900 sounds high for warranty.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Bluerose

That sounds like a Maintenance contract not a Warrenty. Warrenties do not cover services or tire replacement for worn tires.

Average cost of all services through 20k and 2 tires? I'd say would be about $1900 - $2000IF you have all work done by the dealer. Basically you are just paying them in advance.

Paint sealant is a scam. They tell me at the local car dealerships that they are required to add it to all of thier vehicles because they are near a railroad track. I buy from the dealer that is not near the railroad track. Not my problem they choose that location.

My dealer lost my business when I went in for my first service (free with bike purchase) and I found thier rates were 92.50 an hour. That is getting excessive. I also know that they charge for the hours in teh book and not actuall hours.If the book says 4 and they take 2 they still want me to pay for 4....Did someone say bend over?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the factory extended warranty (it sounds like you're getting something the dealer offers seperately) because 2 months after I bought the bike my wife and I were taking a 2 week, 5000 mile road trip and I didn't wan't to have to deal with shelling out $$ for a major repair while on the road. If I was just going to putt around in a 50 mile radius of home I don't know if I would have made the same decision.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
CasperHD
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

That sounds like a Maintenance contract not a Warrenty. Warrenties do not cover services or tire replacement for worn tires.
........ I also know that they charge for the hours in teh book and not actuall hours.If the book says 4 and they take 2 they still want me to pay for 4....Did someone say bend over?
Yeah, it includes the scheduled maintenance which can be bit costly. And I do at least one 2,500 to 4,500 mile trip a year. I know adjusting this and that can add up, and like someone else said, their 10,000 mile service was over 700 bucks alone. That plus oil changes and tires and the other services should add to at least $1800.

And I got in a fight over the "book labor" and "actual labor" when I took my car in and less than 2 hours later I picked it up with 5 hours of labor charges. The excuse is that if it takes longer (rusted parts?), they don't charge extra, so it works out. Kinda shadey for the easy jobs. But I don't want them parking my car for 3 hours and not call me, just to justify the hours charged. And everyone seems to charge by book time.

Oh, and I didn't buy into the paint sealer, trust me. But I know my Honda scheduled maintenance through 20,000 miles would have been pretty pricey, so I asked you guys....

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Question. Good deal? Tires Included?