Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King - Royal Star?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:29 PM
2006streetglide2006
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road King - Royal Star?

Good Luck...with the new king...sorry I busted your chops on the Yamaha so bad....just thought you were jackin with the Forum. Sounds like you have had some cool bikes in the past. I would call around to all the dealers and see when they had bikes coming in. The first dealer I went to in October was going to make me wait until Dec on the street glide but got on the phone and found one about 30 miles away in the color I wanted.....and in stock.

Jon

Old 01-25-2006, 07:57 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like so many have mentioned on the board I also started out riding the metric bikes. Just moved to Harley last January on a sportster and picked up my glide as a christmas present to myself. I have to say that before I owned a harley I rode a lot less, something just feels right to me when I ride a harley. I have friends however who feel the same way about their metric bikes. I think the big thing is do what makes you happy. Also what's up with all the waits I keep hearing about for new bikes. I rolled both of mine off the showroom floor the same day I went to the dealer.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also owned a couple different bikes - Hondas and a BMW. The Road King has to be my favorite to date - looks, sounds, and feels like a real motorcycle. Plus, my local dealer is extremely friendly and I enjoy stopping in when I get a chance (usually once a week). Free coffee. LOL. I think Harley's quality is second to none. Although the motor is a bit dated (pushrods), I still like its simplicity. Easy to work-on and, if desired, easy to modify. It's a really great "tinker machine" and I love that aspect of it too. Good luck on your decision - you'll love whatever you buy. Speaking of resale, my BMW RT in 2000 cost around $18K. I sold it in 5 yrs with 60K on the clock and felt lucky to get $6800 for it. I wonder what a 2000 Road King is going for in March - I bet more than I got a year ago (plus a couple thousand) - there's something to be said about resale values.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Mac11
Road Master

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]it's gotta be a ROAD KING

Mac

[IMG]local://upfiles/6239/8365903461EC4FB5B06A71E8D791010D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 PM
MOking
Tourer

I don't know why you would buy HD???? Just kidding guys. I owned two stars prior to my king.

I liked my stars and still recomend them to people. But I love my King!

Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
CharlieZ
Tourer

I had a Honda 1100 spirit that I sold with 36,000 miles on it. I really liked the bike and had no problems with it, however after going to Sturgis and Bike Week decided i needed a Road King. I purchased a new 05 FLHRI Road King and love it. I could not imagine being without my Road King. The accessories are end less. The rally's are fun. Shop around and do not pay more than MSRP. A lot of dealers rent bikes. Go rent a Road King. I test drove one at Bike Week and that convinced me.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:52 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A neighbor of a friend of mine bought a Royal Star and could not make the payments due loosing his job. I swooped in and took the bike for a few months until he could get on his feet. At the time, I had a Night train.

I'll tell you something. It was a good bike for a metric, no question about that. But half the fun of owning a bike is actually talking about them, wrenching them, enjoying the experience, and making friends on the road anywhere and anytime. Nobody cared to strike a conversation about this bike; the bike (and I) might as well been invisible. When you buy Harley Davidson, the extra you may or may not spend buys a whole lot more like a fellowship among 'brothers'. It makes for a more enjoyable riding experience anywhere in the road from the local gas station to a dusty truck stop in west Texas and all points in between. I guess 103 years of tradition will do that; breeds loyality.

That Royal Star did not last too long as the friend took the bike back none the worse for wear but would not trade this experience for the world. A real eye opener.

So take into account those intangibles I mentioned above. Can't put a price on that.