Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:20 PM
gregm
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tour Pack Brake Lights

I'm going to add Ultra classic style brake lights to my EGC tour pac (H-D lightkit), any pitfalls or pointers I need to know before I hack into the tour pac?
Gregm

Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Tour Pack Brake Lights

Bump.

There is an excellent (and humorous) thread on this installation that would be helpful, but the search function is not working--so hopefully someone has saved it or the author will see your post and provide a link to it.

It seems once every week or so someone does it and reports it was easy with the usual tips--measure twice or three times before cutting; use blue painter's tape to cover the area you intend to cut to avoid/reduce paint chipping (though the light bar has a large plastic flange to cover any but the grossest slips--the pockets cut in the corners of the box are small relative to the plastic cover.

I don't recall if the kit comes with clear silicone or not; but you'll need it for sealing the light sockets to prevent leakage.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:54 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my own tour pak light kit,my dealer wanted $245.00 to install the light kit. they told me it was 2-3 hour job............well i can tell you this,my skills working on the bike are poor at best(getting better thanks to all those who have given me tips and advice here) it took me around 1 hour start to finish(not including removing the tour pak from the bike) I was a nervous wreck measuring and setting the pattern in place,the worst was drilling the first 1/2" hole in a brand new tour pak,lol I coverd the whole rear and sides of the tour pak in blue painters tape to protect the finish. I drilled four holes for each cut out,and used a very fine hacksaw blade to cut out the openings,I choose to leave the line showing for the cut outs and then block sanded both openings toa perfect fit. the whole job gave me a good feeling that i did the work myself,and thatI saved $245.00 not having the dealer do the work ( they did check out my work ,even removed the liner to see how nice i got it to fit,when it was in for service work,and were very suprized it only took me 1 hr to do the whole job)

only tip i would give is this,make sure you get the pattern lined up right,double check it before you start cutting anything,and take your time. the first one was the tough one,the second one went alot better.

Harleypingman......... mine did come with the silicon sealer included

Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gregm

I'm going to add Ultra classic style brake lights to my EGC tour pac (H-D lightkit), any pitfalls or pointers I need to know before I hack into the tour pac?
Gregm
After you get the outline of the cut (from the template) cut *inside* the line. The template gives you plenty of room & it's always easier to cut a little more out than it is to try & put some back.

I also used a dremel with a rotary saw bit rather than a hacksaw or coping saw blade. It's a good controlable tool & reduces vibration & the risk of cracking.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

EZ JOB.. FOLLOW TEMPLATE..
THERE IS ROOM FOR ERRORS
SO NOT A BIG DEAL.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Just finished installing mine last month on a King tour pack.Very surprised the kit came with a tour pack liner.Now I have two.Very easy installation and every thing you need is in the kit,even the tube of silicone.I had to make up my wiring harness from the tour pack to the main harness for the tail lamp circuit, but it was only 3 wires.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 PM
gregm
Cruiser

Thank you to all. I'm a pretty wellexperienced woodworker, so with the reassurance I received from you guys, I'm sure this won't be too hard. It's the first cut that willbe the hardest, after that there's nothing to loose.
Thanks,
Gregm

Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

gregm, Brad bits drill through the tour-pak like a hot knife through butter and no skating.

ride well,

Jim

Old 02-24-2008, 11:12 PM
gregm
Cruiser

I gained a little insight from everyone who gave input, thanks. I used a spiral cutting bit from my Roto-zip in a styluson my Dremel tool and it worked great! It's truly an easy installation, the only fear is fear of screwing up. The Brad point drill bit is a good tip, scoring both sides of the holewith the bit made "tear-out" non existant. 3 hrs to install, but I was in creep speed to make sure I didn't have to buy a new tour pak. Thanks to all.
Gregm

Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 AM
carlosgtn
Advanced

Want to sell the extra liner ?

Quick Reply: Tour Pack Brake Lights