Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Tri bar light to Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you remove the plug on the end of the Tri-Bar light by releasing the pins from the plug and fish the wires up the fender support out the top and then under the strut covers instead of using the conduit and attaching on the underside of the left filler?

Also am thinking about just changing the female AMP plug to a male and using the top left socket in the tail light and just running the wires up through the fender support bracket under the fender to the tail light. This way if I ever decide to get a tour pack I can use the plug at the seat. Just worried about cutting the plug off and crimping new pins for the male plug without the special crimping tool. I read that you can crimp them with just needle nose pliyers but still worried about it.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbeast
Can you remove the plug on the end of the Tri-Bar light by releasing the pins from the plug and fish the wires up the fender support out the top and then under the strut covers instead of using the conduit and attaching on the underside of the left filler?

Also am thinking about just changing the female AMP plug to a male and using the top left socket in the tail light and just running the wires up through the fender support bracket under the fender to the tail light. This way if I ever decide to get a tour pack I can use the plug at the seat. Just worried about cutting the plug off and crimping new pins for the male plug without the special crimping tool. I read that you can crimp them with just needle nose pliyers but still worried about it.
Greg, I sure don't follow your reference to the "fender support bracket under the fender." I used the upper left chamber in the tail light circuit board for the fascia LED and the wires simply pass through the hole in the fender behind the tail light base and through the base to be plugged in; just like the turn signals and brake light connectors.

If you haven't done so already, remove the tail light lens/circuit board/base and you will see the room available and routing for the fascia LED wiring.

As for the first option you mention, I doubt that the wiring on the fascia LED is long enough to go under the strut covers toward the front of the bike. Also, I don't know what fishing you would need to do to bring the fascia LED wiring out from behind the fender.

As for crimping, I've read of guys doing the crimps with needle nose pliers and a regular crimp tool, etc. Just buy a couple extra sockets in case you screw one or two up in the process.

Or, bring your stuff down to the dealership and catch one of the techs and ask him to crimp two or three wires for you. And give him a nice tip for his trouble.