Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you modified your candy cane vent tube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you modified your candy cane vent tube?

Was at a indy shop the other day and saw trans and primary drained from a TC96. It was full of water. Guy swears he did not submerge the bike, and it has no leaks. So the only way it could have gotten in was thru the vent tube.

Got me to thinking of getting a longer hose and routing it up under the tank somewhere.

Anyone else done this kind of mod?

I don't want to be thinking about milkshakes everytime I am riding in the rain.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 AM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Have you modified your candy cane vent tube?

HMmmm, I made mine shorter......

Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 AM
kurtlange
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went w/ this--http://*******.com/2r28aa

Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

lWashing the bike with a hose or at the 2 bit car wash could get water in the breather.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It ain't the rain. That oil is sittin' in a metal box that's open to ambient air pressure & temp. (the vent tube) It's gonna get some condensation. Little short rides will mix that moisture pretty thoroughly, but not won't heat the components enough to evaporate the water. Solution? Pretty simple..........ride long enough to boil the water (that evaporates at a lower temp. than the oil) out through the vent tube. 'Course you'll get more condensation over night, so repeat as necessary................

Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jinks

It ain't the rain. That oil is sittin' in a metal box that's open to ambient air pressure & temp. (the vent tube) It's gonna get some condensation. Little short rides will mix that moisture pretty thoroughly, but not won't heat the components enough to evaporate the water. Solution? Pretty simple..........ride long enough to boil the water (that evaporates at a lower temp. than the oil) out through the vent tube. 'Course you'll get more condensation over night, so repeat as necessary................
That's what I was thinking...that maybe the guy needs to RIDE the thing once in a while.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stro1965

That's what I was thinking...that maybe the guy needs to RIDE the thing once in a while.
+1

Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like that JP cycles device. Thanx for the idea.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 PM
kurtlange
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last time my tranny got water in it, i was in tenn, trying tooutrunning hurrican katrina. had 3 days on the road to get home. think that is enough to "boil' out the water?? it wasn't...

anytime i rode in a big rain, my tranny would get water in it. not when i washed the bike tho. put on the j&p breather-no more water.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: kurtlange

last time my tranny got water in it, i was in tenn, trying tooutrunning hurrican katrina. had 3 days on the road to get home. think that is enough to "boil' out the water?? it wasn't...

anytime i rode in a big rain, my tranny would get water in it. not when i washed the bike tho. put on the j&p breather-no more water.
Drained it right after the ride & before anymore condensation could happen, eh? Only rain got in, so rain has a pathway, or you didn't wash the transmission.............

Glad the J&P worked for you, but the problem is still condensation. Not my rules, just physics.

Quick Reply: Have you modified your candy cane vent tube?