Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use ear plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Do you use ear plugs?

I ruined my hearing long ago with massive volume rock and roll. I used to put a pillow between two speakers with a 15 inch woofer, two 5 inch midrange and two 1 inch tweeters in each box. I have serious tinnitis in each ear now. I need to conserve every bit of hearing I have left. I always use hearing protection now.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 PM
HogBack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my half helmet most of the time, and for eitherthe wind orexhaustI like the ear plugs, especiallyon longer rides... the longer the ride the more I want them. With the 3/4 helmet, do not need them.Hint: stop in at an old chopper/pan/shovel mechanic and talk them for a while, most all of them have lost a large portion of their hearing... mostly from the wind....

Hogback

Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I never wear them, just had to pick this one "Real bikers don't wear plugs", LOL! What, huh,uhh?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear them when I'm riding my hardtail on the hwy, when I remember. If I could hear people remind me more I'd probably remember more! Haven't worn any on the SG, it seems so quiet by comparison

Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
acftdr
Cruiser

I wear 'em for the long hauls. Less fatiging and hearing loss is permanent. Oh, and white socks for me.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:42 PM
CueBall00
Tourer

I have to tell you I hate riding without them anymore, I never used them when I was young but after turning 50 and now being 55 I can't stand the wind noise.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Real HD riders don't wear socks or undies for that matter.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:50 PM
dbianco
Cruiser

I have never worn ear plugs when I ride my RKC that is equipped with a Windvest windshield, I ride with a 1/2 helmet 99% of the time, only put a full face on when it's raining. However, last weekend, I took the wife's Sporty out for a two hour ride, no windshield and I was miserable, don't know how you could ride without either a windshield or plugs without being miserable.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Emporers New Clothes
Cruiser

First of all aren't we all real bikers......HMMMMM....... as for the earplugs I wear them on really long rides when I'm alone and the ones I use are molded and have earphones built into them that plug into my I-Pod I hit shuffle and I have about 12 days worth of continuous music. Love em

Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I was curious about using ear plugs and my dealer gives them away. So one day, I get a pair and stick them in. I wear a 3/4 helmet with face shield, by the way.

While it certainly cut down on perceived wind noise, and the clatter of the engine went away. In their place was my own breathing, and heart beat. I had to turn the radio all the way up to hear it at all. My hearing is still very good, despite years around a planer, and being a fireman, and being a general aviation pilot where noise levels can be high. Another thread discusses ringing sounds, which I get, but I think it may be from my medications.

I decided I won't need ear plugs anytime soon. Maybe a $50 pair would resolve the breathing and heartbeat thing, I dunno.[:@]

Quick Reply: Do you use ear plugs?