Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tour-pak Brake/Tail Lamp Kit wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
riconot
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tour-pak Brake/Tail Lamp Kit wiring

I received my wrap around brake/tail lamp kit. Just looking at the parts, it looks like I'll need more wiring to reach any plugs under my seat. Maybe not! Has anyone installed this kit (p/n 68172-06) on their tour-pak and found they need more harness? Or is it an optical illusion? To be honest, I've just looked at the parts and haven't started the install yet. It's going on a plain king tour-pak and on an '07 road glide. I didn't find anything by searching. Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 04:26 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tour-pak Brake/Tail Lamp Kit wiring

I did the tour pak brake light kit on my king tour pak but my light kit was #68012-88E 1988-2005' My kit had all the parts needed to install and plug into the bikes harness. my tour pak came with side marker lights already installed from the factory,so i didnt need that wiring to plug into the tourpak harness. when i first put my tour pak on,my wire harness was zip tied to the frame near the side cover,mine is a police bike so im sure the wiring harness had already been used to plug lights into,im not sure where your tour pak harness will be located,i've hear near the battery,all bundled up waiting to be found. hopefully someone else will chime in on this to answer your question better. good luck with the install,it didnt find it all that tough........ after drilling the first 1/2" hole in a perfectly new tour pak

Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

I put the spoiler / wing with running and brake lights on my EGC and the wiring in the kit was perfect. You only need about 3' or so to go from the tour pak to the about the middle of the seat. My connector was tucked in front of the battery and had a little slack on it. Did yours come with anything like that?

Ride well,

Jim

Old 02-20-2008, 05:43 PM
riconot
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have about 3 inches of harness that extends from the tour pak. But again, I haven't done the install so I may not have a problem. I just saw so little wire with the kit I thought I'd post the question. Thanks for the replies. It should turn out fine.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought the spoiler/light kit recently but haven't installed it.

What is the small unused connector in the Tour-Pak used for? I have a Classic so maybe it is for the side marker lights that I don't have, but I don't know. It would be nice if I could use it for the spoiler lights.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

Jim,I saw that connector to and it would make things easier. However, you can't use it because it's for the side marker lights and if you do use it you won't havethe brakelight function.

I used Craftsman brad pointbits to drill the pak and they work incredibly well. They are shell ground and won't slip and make the cleanest holes you ever saw.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ord=drill+bits

Ride well,

Jim

Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

Jim,I saw that connector to and it would make things easier. However, you can't use it because it's for the side marker lights and if you do use it you won't havethe brakelight function.

I used Craftsman brad pointbits to drill the pak and they work incredibly well. They are shell ground and won't slip and make the cleanest holes you ever saw.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ord=drill+bits

Ride well,

Jim
Thanks Jim, I was afraid of that.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:29 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Here is where you will find the plug on your scooter.

You will have to add about 8 - 12 inches of wire to the harness to reach the plug. I don't know why H-D doesn't do the harness up correctly. Just be sure to wrap it in heat shrink and seal the end so moisture doesn't get inside the wire wrap.