Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie) UPDATE

Yes. However, Big CholLa in a post above says to leave it in the Ignition position for ten second intervals.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
mjbones
Cruiser
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie) UPDATE

I traded in my 03 standard for a 08 ultra and after putting on about 4500 miles, I noticed that after the bike warmed up the throttle response had a slight delay especially if you were stopped on a slight upgrade. I started to take off from a upgrade position and the throttle seemed to me to lag , I pulled in the clutch but before I could give the bike more gas down I went. 5 years and 20,000 miles and I never came close to that happening to me. It only seems to happen when the bike warms up.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith
I will never trust fly by wire throttle.....There is just too much at chance and too many reports of flakey and unpredictable reactions for me to risk the slow speed balet I perform whenever I need to.
Actually, my '2004 Acura is a throttle by wire set-up and it works perfectly. I doubt if it's inherant in HD's design - probably an ECM issue, but, I will try to find out at the dealer's next time I'm in there. I'd be surprised if it wasn't adjustable via computer.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine works just fine. Came off my '06 Dyna with 27,000 miles. No adjustment period. Just got on the Road King and it throttled up like any other bike. I don't see any issue.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
ratcat
Tourer

When my 08 was new, with 50 miles on it, and it was 30 degress out, it was SLOW to respond, 1000 mile later, 50 degress out, ALL IS WELL.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM
scared as hell
Novice

I have owned six acura cars, I traded one with 96000 miles -one set of tires -one head light.
Pay for quality up front then enjoy your ride! I paid $29,227.47 for my 08 SG CB XM GPS and a lot chrome. I thought I paid for quality, but with all the throttle by wire problemsI havehad, maybe Harley should have
charged me more ! I DON'T THINK SO!HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THROTTLEBY WIRE CALL HARLEY
1-414-343-4056

Old 03-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Truman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of my riding buddies have models using cable style throttles, my 08 road king throttle response by comparison is sluggish, I'll give the ignition switch on/off fix a try and report back and like others have said, no cables=no slack.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
scared as hell
Novice

Does any one have any information on any other manufacturers of motorcycles as to problems with throttle by wire other than Harley 08's

Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. Mine had sluggish throttle response also. I tried the recalibration procedure mentioned earlier. It no longer has any hesitation at all. I can blip the throttle in neutral while stopped or blip it to downshift and it's right there! It's now every bit as responsive as you would expect something fuel injected to be. Give it a try and see if it doesn't work for you also![8D]

Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Forget About It
Banned

still hoping for more info on this, will it reflash the ecm and lose all my custom dyno tuning

Quick Reply: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)