Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 PM
scared as hell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( It's fixed)

I own an 08 Street Glide and I experienced a total throttle lose at 65 MPH. I had to coast to the side of the road, turn the bike off and then restart to regain throttle.This is the only time I experiencedtotal throttle lose so far and I have 4500 miles on the bike.I am also experiencing over idle problems and throttle hesitation on turns.I had the bike totwo dealerships and had it diagnosedand they said there was no problem. Then Icalled H-D headquarters and they know nothing.Dealerships say they do not report problems to H-D headquarters unless there are parts and labor involved in a repair. It wouldhelp if everyone would call H-D and tell them of your problems (414343-4056).

John

Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)

Badfinger: Reset your throttle computer setting by following the above mentioned recalibration technique except that H-D customer service is now recommending that you use a 10 sec. interval in the 'on' position for 4 times. It worked for me. ............ BC

Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 PM
simonwiley2001
Novice

I'm kinda lost on the boat/ mic thing. The drive-by-wire throttles used on the new harleys use a 5 volt referance... just like most of the new-er cars and trucks. How would keying up a mic cause a 5volt or lower current to go through the throttle circuit? Maybe it was a remote controlled boat??? I've had to have my throttle sensor in the handle bars replaced at 50 miles. I wasn't happy about it. It cause my check engine light to come on... and my bike (08 RKC) to run at half power. (ECM controlling my throttle)It was covered by warranty, but I never had that problem with any honda's or Kawasaki's I've owned.... but neither were nearly as nice as my new bike. The harley electronic throttle, if operating properly, is very quick at responding to you. I wasn't happy when they came out with it in cars and trucks (I'm a mechanic for Arkansas Trans. Dept), but looking back, I wasn't happy because I didn't understand it. In a way I still don't, but I've learned enough to appriciate it. I bet it'll be on the rest of the harley line up in the next few years... kinda like fuel injection.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
scared as hell
Novice
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie) UPDATE

We talked with our Harley dealer today and they said that turning the ignition off and on is like reflashing the computer. They were not sure if it would affect our race tuner settings, which we just had dynod. The factory rep will in be town next week to check the bike. They said it went into forced idle mode, but did not register any codes. No conclusive answers yet, will keep you posted.

John

Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Forget About It
Banned

my 089 hesitates real bad if i sitt at idle to long its a real pain i have to wck the throittle before i go some times almost like an old carb bike loading up i wounder isf its that idle temp switch

Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 08 had the same thing, it was like a dead spot in the sensor or somethin from 0 to about 800 RPM's then about 2000 to 2200 RPM's, but when I had the thing Dyno'd and flashed(dynolink software)with the new maps all that went away big time. Sooo the reflsh thing might just work. It's not slop in the throttle cause there aint no cable.
Ride Safe

Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Forget About It
Banned

i mean 08 not 089 sorry

Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: towboattrash34
electric throttles are dangerous !!!!! they put some on a boat i was working on and we had a little hand held vhf raido/cb and when we keyed the mic it reved up to WFO/redlined in 3/4 sec.... so for that reason alone i will never use or get a fly by wire throttle...... raido feq can interfer with them !!!!
I can tell you what the problem is. Grounding problem, years ago the auto industry had the same problem. They added a grounded system, so the electronics didn't act like an antenna and no more problem.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Forget About It
Banned

wish there was a few more posts on this

Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 PM
08whitey
Advanced

Sorry... I just want to make sure I understand.

Engine = Run Position

Ignition = Off position
Ignition = Ignition position
Ignition = Off position for 3 seconds

Is this right?

Thanks

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

I just found this in the service manual pertaining to my issue. I'm not going to do anything untill I talk to my service guys but it could be related. I though you might find this interesting.

Quote:
Note
Whenever a new twist grip sensor (or ECM) is installed, place the engine run/stop switch in the RUN position and turn the ignition/light keyswitch to IGNITION and then back to OFF four times (without starting engine). Allow at least three seconds to elapse between ignition cycles. As the ECM uses the first four ignition cycles to establish the optimum idle speed, there may be initial performance problems if the procedure is not performed, such as high idle or hesitation when the throttle is opened.

Ride well,

Jim

Quick Reply: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)