Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie) UPDATE

No problem like that with mine either.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie) UPDATE

I've noticed that it does not seem as smooth from full closed when rolling open at slow speeds but no actual lag. I'd try the setup above..can't hurt anything.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 AM
towboattrash34
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

It is an issue.

Several '08 owners have complained about it, but only/mostly those who stepped off older Harleys they had driven for years......At best, you gotta learn a new feel, but at worst a few owners have discovered really flakey and unpredictable throttle response that has caused them to dump the bike in situations they might have survived with cables.

I will never trust fly by wire throttle.....There is just too much at chance and too many reports of flakey and unpredictable reactions

This WILL somdeay become an issue once experienced riders start getting hurt and figuring out why.
electric throttles are dangerous !!!!! they put some on a boat i was working on and we had a little hand held vhf raido/cb and when we keyed the mic it reved up to WFO/redlined in 3/4 sec.... so for that reason alone i will never use or get a fly by wire throttle...... raido feq can interfer with them !!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:51 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

wow,, it's great to see that we have some very well informed andintelligent responses to this one.
to know more about throttle by wire, check out this link http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h33.pdf
I know it's from a toyota manual, however they all work the same way

and towboat, next time you grab the mic and key it up, make sure the mic cordisn't wrapped around the throttle lever. Thats about the only way I can see it increasing your rpm

Old 02-21-2008, 03:23 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DZLDR

wow,, it's great to see that we have some very well informed andintelligent responses to this one.
to know more about throttle by wire, check out this link http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h33.pdf
I know it's from a toyota manual, however they all work the same way

and towboat, next time you grab the mic and key it up, make sure the mic cordisn't wrapped around the throttle lever. Thats about the only way I can see it increasing your rpm
[sm=happybounce.gif] [sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Default RE: Throttle by wire issue ( It's fixed)

The procedure I noted in my post above appears to have fixed my idle or throttle problem! https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=2911182

The weather has kept me off my bike until yesterday. I rode 90 milesand didn't have any trouble with what I call throttle lag.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 03-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,656 Likes on 581 Posts

Glad to hear it's all worked out.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, and hydraulics for the brakes. Who ever thought of that gimmick?
It was a government conspiracy to change to hydraulics and disc brakes I tell ya[:@]
Why I oughta

Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM
AegisII
Intermediate

This thread IS very interesting, I picked up my 08 Ultra last August and have always experienced the throttle lag.
I have asked the dealer about it every time I went in, and nobody knew anything or had heard of any problems.
March 13th I had them put new FBW Kuryakin grips and the throttle problem seems to be gone.
Who da Thunkit.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

The procedure I noted in my post above appears to have fixed my idle or throttle problem! https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=2911182

The weather has kept me off my bike until yesterday. I rode 90 milesand didn't have any trouble with what I call throttle lag.
I thought it would work out in a positive way. The throttle on my '08 UC works nicely, as do those on the rest of the bikes of others who have responded to in this thread.

"YodaddyKeith - Retired nuc submarine sailor" takes every opportunity to trash the new design because he doesn't have one, but they're fine.

Quick Reply: Throttle by wire issue ( search no workie)