Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading from wagon wheels to Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:17 AM
hogdad
|
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Upgrading from wagon wheels to Chrome

Heres my story. I ride all year round in NorthEast PA as long as theres no snow and its not in like the single digits(although I have in the past). I rode about 6 weeks ago we had a warm spell with snow melting and of course mixed with salt but fuggit I'm riding. About 100 miles that day and then wham it gets cold in the late afternoon-too cold to break out the frozen hose and rinse the bike. So I put it away. Less than 2 days later I wash it in my garage. Next day I'm looking at the wheels(and the rear pulley and caliper bracket) and they are salt and corrosion city. Tried sanding with 2000 grit, never dull, etc bottom line-wheels are done. So with income tax return rolling in I bought a set of 2007 smooth(not the stepped ones)chromes spoke wheels with front tire on the front rim and all supposedly are 700 mile takeoffs including the tire- for about 430.00 inc shipping. Now my dealer is like yeah we'll put em on for about 140.00. Great, too great to me. So I call back and get the regular service guy- hes like 245.00 on the high side unless you get the front wheel with the tire already monuted then a little less. I know you gotta switch rotors and drive pulley and mount up the wheels but I'm thinking of borrowing a friends jack and 2005 FLHT service manual and DIY it. By the way any drawbacks to the spokes? I couldn't see putting the same wheels on and having it happen again, mainlybeacuse I'm going to ride the bike when I want to not when the wheels permit it. Bottom line unless you WANT spokes rinse your aluminum right after a salty ride.

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:22 AM
etrader
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Upgrading from wagon wheels to Chrome

Wheels + SALT = corrosion guaranteed!

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:24 AM
bluebagger06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do it yourself.i am in middle of swapping in hog pro wheels and it is easy.use a little locktie on the bolts for rotors and pulley.

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:27 AM
hogdad
|
Road Captain

When you take off the front wheel do the brake pads fall out? Do I need to take the calipers off first?

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:29 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

CALIPERS OFF 1ST. THEN WHEEL ..

PS: WHY WOULD 1 RIDE WITH SALT ON THE GROUND CAUSE YOUR WHEELS AND CALIPERS TO BE USELESS??? IVE RIDDEN IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER SALT INCLUDED.. NEVER HAD TO REPLACE MY WHEELS+ CALIPERS ETC ..

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:31 AM
hogdad
|
Road Captain

Thanks. Nowon the caliper theres a bolt with a like 10 or 12 head raised ridges if I remember correctly. What kind of socket is that? I don't think I have those.

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:31 AM
bluebagger06
Tourer

no, the pads have bolts through them..i pulled the calipers loose first and moved them out of the way.tire will slide right out this way

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:33 AM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

The front wheel won't come off with the calipers in in place. Remove them first and tie them back so they don't ding up your fender. The padswill not come off.
Jeff

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:33 AM
hogdad
|
Road Captain

Nick theres not useless but I guess because I let them dry they pitted like a ****. Even the rear caliper bracket I noticed yesterday looks like ****. I mean you don't see it so I'm leaving it but alos the drive pulley is pitted too.

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:34 AM
bluebagger06
Tourer

10 mil ,12 point socket

Quick Reply: Upgrading from wagon wheels to Chrome