Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a broken bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:45 PM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with a broken bolt

So, bought a nice little chrome trim piece yesterday figuring I could slap it on in 2 minutes. Took a look at the instructions and used the "cleaner" screw to clean the hole threads before install. As I was screwing in the cleaning screw, the head of it snapped right off. I wasn't using much torque at all. Now I have a broken screw sticking out of the hole and can't get it out. This $30.00 trim piece is going to end up costing me a fortune if I can't figure out an easy way to remove this screw. I guess it may have to do with these screws coming from China. Any ideas on how to get the damn thing out before I lose my freakin' mind?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help with a broken bolt

What kind of material is the screw stuck in? How far out is the broken end of the screw, and how much room do you have to work around the screw? A picture is worth 1,000 words here. Post one if you can.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
scoobs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get at it with a drill bit? Might want to go to the hardware store and get a left hand drill bit. If the broken off screw isnt too tight in the hole it may back out that way. If not you can use a screw extractor to turn it out then. May have to center punch the broken screw to center the drill bit so you dont drill off center and bung up the threads in the hole.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

If the remainder of the screw/bolt that is sticking out is workable, try to file it flat and then use a center punch to make a detente or starter hole for a drill bit. Now you can drill a hole in the shaft of the bolt and use a easy-out. Or if you think you can do it with a small chisel, you can cut a groove in it and use a flat blade screwdriver, or just continue to tap it out with a hammer and chisel.

Also if its sticking out enough, and its not too tight, and you think you can get a set of Vice Grips on it with a good bite, you may get it out like that.

Or you could use a small drill bit like I said above, and then just keep going bigger and bigger on the bit size until it comes out.

You never said what the part your installing was or where the bolt is located. If you could snap a good close up pic of it I may have a better idea. The point is dont rush it.....its a common problem, and can be fixed without too much fuss.....dont get all freaked out about it.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You have 2 options that I can see.

1. If there is enough of the bolt sticking out, you might be able to grab it with a pair of wire snips by clamping and turning and repeaing.

2. You need to use an Easy Out which in layman terms looks like a tapered left handed twist drill. You drill a small pilot hole into the end of the broken bolt. Insert the Easy Out tool giving it a slight tap to seat it into the hole and basically unscrew the bolt.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/88D6032926EA499FA4D40C53A211E31A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a Fork Bracket Cover http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444223806 3&FOLDER
%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309227509&ASSORTMENT%3C %3East_id=2534374309227509&bmUID=120346719
7487&bmLocale=en_UShopefully this link will work. The screw broke on the left side and I don't have a lift so it's a little tough to get at. I think I'll try the easy out but I was afraid of screwing up the threads. I'll buya good set of vise grips and try that first before I use the easy out. Any other tips before I "screw" this up?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
pled55
Road Master

what ever method you use to extract this screw make damn sure you cover fender and tank with
a towel ,quilt or something because it may turn into a fender or tank repair as well
just a precaution when working in really close to painted parts.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:41 PM
mkusky
Advanced

if you can get your hands on a set of stud removers i would try them first ,then the vise grips and if that didn't work and you have access to a welder then i would get a nut to fit over the stud and tack weld it then back it out with a socket hopes this helps.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:49 PM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really don't feel comfortable with this, I'm sure a local small machine shop would be able to fix you up in a jiffy for less then you are gonna spend running around picking up tools, and trying things.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 PM
rick180
Cruiser

Everybody thinks I'm crazy but I have a pneumatic air scribe. (they make them in electric also. Anyway, you put the scribe on the end of the broke off bolt and vibrate the threads out with a counter clockwise motion. It works almost everytime.

Quick Reply: Need help with a broken bolt