Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Dual Bulb Headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Duke of HD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID Dual Bulb Headlamp

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: Trojan63

I ride alot at night and have been thinking about buying the HID bulb. Has anyone installed this High Intensity Discharge headlamp, and if so, how much more light do you experience.
This $9 upgrade will give you much more light from your stock headlight:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ic&ci=2963

I've been using 85/100W and 90/100W bulbs for 12 years now.
Are you running these with factory wiring?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
bear95
Intermediate

I put the HD Dual Halogen headlight on my bike and then did the mod that keeps the passing lamps on when you turn the high beam on. The HD Dual Halogen headlight plus the passing light mod made a HUGE difference in my opinion. Now when in high beam mode youv'e got the high and low beam on in the HD Dual Halogen headlight, plus the passing lamps on. I'm not sure how to add a pic on here, PM me and I can send you a pic of the diagram for the passing light mod.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 PM
cidewayz
2nd Gear

i bought 1 of those kits off of ebay for about 80 bucks for my street glide and recomend that hid kit for everything that can handle it.....it lights up the streets like the sun w/out a high beam with a 8000k bulb

Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok try here and PM FastHarley

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/

HID 269 I think??

Old 02-19-2008, 11:18 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't done this yet, but I am interested in it... and I think this is the direction I plan to go...

http://www.gohid.com/product_3101_465.html

This is the real deal and has the ballast and everything for you. The sales support line says that they are the bulbs and type used in BMW and Mercedes. (if you believe the sales people...)

Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

My Roadglide came with these moto-lights mounted on the front brake calipers. They really push the light out in front of the bike a long way and shine down low on the road where you need it. They also do not **** off oncoming drivers. I expect I'll be putting these on every bike I own from now on.
This might be a better option for many of you and a little cheaper than HID.
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...ght/slider.asp

Old 02-20-2008, 12:45 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

The real deal on HID.

You may search this subject and there is a lot ofinformation contained on this site. As stated, the HD HID works only on low beam. It requires you to get another lens. The hi beam is a halogen bulb. The last time I checked @ HD Miami, they were around $550. I do not know if the price is changed.

If you search I have given all major players in the HID field. Some units can be bought with a HI/LO in one light bulb. These type require no changing of the lens. There are many other companies/individuals who buy different components and make an assembly. Some are good, most of the cheaper ones are not. With everything, you get what you pay for, within reason.

No matter whose kit you buy, make sure they are available by phone, give you a real address, provide you with a warranty, and if there is a problem, how to exchange parts/get a new unit. Ask how long they have been in business and how long they have been selling these units. If they give you this information, call back the next day(s) posing as a past customer enquiring how you can send back your unit you bought (XX month’s ago). The last you need in your life is a DOA unit out of the box.

Support on installation is also very important. When starting this project over 3 years ago, I bought 2 different units from 2 different companies and have yet to see either bulb light up. When asking from support, when I finally got through, they did not have a clue nor even knew what a Harley was. Needless to say, I have 2 different units for sale, brand new and never used. Than I got serious.

I did my research and had quality units made for a Harley or custom. A word of advice, do not let this happen to you. If you wish to view how to install, feel free to go to my install page in HID. Read, ask questions, than make sure the sales person can be reached, knows what they are talking about, and can walk you through the install. Good luck in your install.

BTW a typical unit draws 35 watts (about ½ the load of a stock halogen), throws out 3 times the light as a halogen, and is much cooler to the touch than a halogen. The good quality HID bulbs last, on average, 2000-3500 hours. A Silverstar is rated 55 watt @ 150 hours and a 65 watt @ 100 hours. Go to Sylvania’s site to verify for yourself. Hope this information helps you.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:26 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Search does not work but I have found some info here at these posts

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2786917/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2664543/tm.htm

Old 02-20-2008, 07:00 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

I fully agree with Howard and his assesment of HID. I have the HD dual bulb HID unit and for my needs it is great. Low beam HID light is strong and a tight cutoff. The H8 original high beam is weak but the narrow beam focus is very good. I ran with a slightly modified (sniped a corner off one of the mounting tabs) H11 bulb which increased output to 55 watts. Over the winter I did the same to an H9 which is 65 watts. The focal point on these bulbs seem to match well and the H9 does throw much farther down the road. For the amount I use the High beam, there is no heat issue at 65 watts. Also the High beam has it's power source independent to the HID Low beam and doesn't put a strain on the wiring. --- Tom

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM
ndotken
Road Captain

I know this isn't what you asked and I don't want to hijack your thread, but if you're looking for increased night visibility then I recommend the HD fog lamps. A buddy of mine rode in front of me for the first time at night and when we stopped at a light he turned and said, "Well you're not going to sneak up on anyone ... you look like a semi coming down the road." I frequently have people flash their brights at me thinking my high beams are on. Just a thought ...

Quick Reply: HID Dual Bulb Headlamp