Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New lowers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New lowers

This isn't big news and many have lowers on their tourers, but there's been some discussion here recently about them and I finally bit the bullet. Here are some impressions:

1. The function of the vents is about as expected, and I'm pleased with the effect open and closed. Rode home in cool weather last night and they were a big plus with the vents closed. My guess is that I will not remove them in summer, but who knows when the LA steam machine kicks in about mid-June.

2. The lowers enhance the appearance of the bike, IMO.

3. The extra storage is appreciated, though small.

4. The quick-release kit was a mistake, as in standard form each lower is attached by three bolts and are easy enough to remove/install. The kit uses thumbscrews with a large screwdriver slot, and I found that a large screwdriver is necessary to tighten fully anyway. So, for $70 you avoid using a ratchet/socket for a large screwdriver, which to me is no advantage.

5. The liners are neat, but probably unnecessary, though they may keep things from rattling. For $22 they're a toss-up. No need to remove them when installing/removing the lowers with the quick-release kit installed, but I'm not sure about the standard bolts.

6. Not wanting to leave any accessory without a home, I also bought the glovebox pouches. Haven't used them yet and am not sure when I will, but extra space is always a plus. This $22 is also a toss-up.

Anyway, this is a means of introducing my new sig photo, although it's been up since last night. I kinda enhanced the Black Cherry color a bit too much in Photoshop, but it looks good to me that way. BTW, I received these exactly 12 days from the date I ordered them from Zanotti's, which must be a record for painted items. I wasn't expecting them until well into March.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Scootr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New lowers

They look great. I am still up in the air about them on my SG. Will probably bite the bullet next winter.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good analysis. Thanks.

I have lowers (stock) on my bike and really like 'em. My riding buds will be glad to see some additional input.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look good I love mine I leave them on all year long.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

Love the look they give the bike, but here in Florida, I'm concerned that they;d be too hot on the engine for the summer time, which is most of the year.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

The Ultra comes with them, of course, but I found that I wasn't using the glove boxes, so I mounted speakers there when I went to a detachable tour pak. When I get my camera software up and running, I plan to post some pics, I've been busy this winter...

By the way, lowers look sweet on the SG!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master

IMHO, I like them better than the earlier ones as they have relieved the foot swing to the brake peddle...Mine is a problem getting on the back brake as I try to swing my foot in to stop, I am thinking of getting mine cut out some more to give mine more room....Jer

Old 02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those look great on your bike. Now you also have another spot for speakers.....

: )

Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HogFather
Love the look they give the bike, but here in Florida, I'm concerned that they;d be too hot on the engine for the summer time, which is most of the year.
I was concerned about this, too, but there has been at least one thread here recently that covered that subject. No one reported an increase in oil temps with the lowers installed, and one guy actually did a same-day test on and off. With the vents closed there is less apparent air passing behind your legs, which leads me to believe the rear cylinder and possibly the front might run a bit warmer. But when the vents are closed it is cold outside, or should be, so that shouldn't be an issue. With vents open there seems to be ample airflow, and I can't see how they would hamper cooling in that position. In limited riding so far with temps up to 80° I haven't seen a difference in oil temps, staying at or below 180°. That will change around mid-June, however, but I will be watching closely. They're easy to remove and if there is an oil-temp problem with them installed I'll remove them for the summer months.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RonH

Those look great on your bike. Now you also have another spot for speakers.....
Just what I need, another project involving more money. I just ordered the Hogtunes amp to go along with my already-installed HT speakers, so that would open the door for a speaker addition. I need to dig up that thread by the guy who installed them in his lowers. It was a very neat job. Did you do it? If so, how about some details!

Quick Reply: New lowers