Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New lowers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:08 PM
cybdet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New lowers

ORIGINAL: White Knight 04

IMHO, I like them better than the earlier ones as they have relieved the foot swing to the brake peddle...Mine is a problem getting on the back brake as I try to swing my foot in to stop, I am thinking of getting mine cut out some more to give mine more room....Jer
I feel the same way. I can't complain asmy "older" version lowers were free. I hate the feeling of trying to use the the rear brake coming off of the highway peg. With my size shoe (13) it's a difficult (and dangerous) design. I will also cut mine out to maximize side clearance.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I did a 225-miler today in beautiful Spring-like weather (high of 70°), with sympathies extended to my friends in the frozen north, and have a few impressions of the new lowers:

1. Oil temperature did not change in cool morning temps with vents closed, nor later in the day with vents open, compared to before installation. Oil temp stayed at 180° while moving, up to 205° once during 20-min. of heavy stop-and-go traffic, and when it did heat up it cooled down rapidly once under way.

2. Gas mileage was no worse, even with vents and fairing air deflectors closed. Got 50mpg on the first leg of the ride today against a moderate head wind, which is right up with the best I've gotten with no lowers installed and no head wind. My perception is that they don't increase drag, thus don't decrease mileage. It'll be interesting how mileage changes at interstate speeds, if at all, but I wasn't able to assess that today. Before buying them I speculated that the wedge shape might be more aerodynamic than the turbulence created by legs and other objects in that wind path. This may be similar to the effects created by spoilers on four-wheeled vehicles, either under the bumper on cars or on the top of cabs on big rigs, by channeling the air away from drag-inducing objects like the trailer on a truck or the underside of a car. Any wind engineers out there who could comment on this hypothesis?

3. The lowers control turbulence very effectively. It's not totally gone--as if it were we would be cagers, not bikers--but seems much better controlled, open or closed.

4. Seems more stable at interstate speeds, but we only ran about 20 miles at speeds above 65mph, so it could've been my imagination. Could the wedge-shaped lowers be acting like wind stabilizers, similar to a rudder on a plane?

5. No rain today to test, but I'm convinced my boots will stay totally dry as long as I'm moving, even in a deluge. However, since wind hits the top of my legs and knees, my legs won't stay totally dry. Thus, I may be able to nix my gaiters, but not my rain pants.

I really don't see a downside to these new lowers. I feared mileage might suffer as well as engine cooling, but I saw no evidence of that today. The jury's still out on how they will fare in summer heat, but based on feedback here I believe they'll be staying on year-round.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

There is no downside to them. All one has to do is ride with them and all of the things you mention happen. A MUCH smoother cruise (to the point where you'll be hard pressed to ride distances without them), No drag, no affect on highway speeds, (really why would there be), no battering of the lower legs and yes turbulence is decreased considerably especially at speeds over 60. Enjoy ..they look great on your bike.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM
maxflhx
Tourer

Thanks for the great review,now I have another part to covet!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: cybdet

IMHO, I like them better than the earlier ones as they have relieved the foot swing to the brake peddle...Mine is a problem getting on the back brake as I try to swing my foot in to stop, I am thinking of getting mine cut out some more to give mine more room....Jer
I feel the same way. I can't complain asmy "older" version lowers were free. I hate the feeling of trying to use the the rear brake coming off of the highway peg. With my size shoe (13) it's a difficult (and dangerous) design. I will also cut mine out to maximize side clearance.
I just purchased a pair of vented lowers from a forum member for a reasonable price. They will be delivered within a week.
I wasn't aware that there was a new version with more foot room. These lowers are from late 2005-early 2006. When did the restyling take place?
Which ones do I have?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 PM
BillinNY
Tourer

Thanks for the great reviews.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bob, your bike is looking awsome! Those lowers go a long way to completing your "hot-rod tourer" look of your SG. Nice job! I really like the looks and idea of the lowers. They are on my "eventual" list. Just wish they had "vendted" ones of the RG. Oh well.

Very nice on your bike.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order from and how long did they take?

This message has been edited because I'm an idiot!
Geeze...Hello McFly! I just went back and re-read your first post...you know...the one where you say it took exactly 12 days from Zanotti's. Yeah, that's the one. [&:]

Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
cybdet
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

ORIGINAL: cybdet

I just purchased a pair of vented lowers from a forum member for a reasonable price. They will be delivered within a week.
I wasn't aware that there was a new version with more foot room. These lowers are from late 2005-early 2006. When did the restyling take place?
Which ones do I have?
Not sure about those. Mine were off a '93 Ultra that was wrecked. The lowers were intact and my friend painted them.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick
How much is the lowers kit with four speakers? How do the speakers fit on the lowers? Is it a permanent install, or can they be removed without damaging the lowers?
You'll have to get a price from Pez at Hogtunes - but as you can see there is a bracket that attaches to the glove box. You snip off the 4 nubs where the doors snap on. The bolts for the brackets go in those holes. Then one hole is drilled for the wires under the cap where you can't see it. To restore the lowers to original you would just snap in new nubs on the glove boxes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9233/8A5B09362CB24C618CE1D71316F03A53.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9233/0A178112BA774353A43CCB531028F7E1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a couple more....

[IMG]local://upfiles/9233/928985AC6DBC4F3586B7FE364B2CEF1B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9233/3C53B53D72D841A78000EF54E56AC20C.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: New lowers