Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95" Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008 | 09:16 PM
adlerx
Road Captain
Default RE: 95" Build

ORIGINAL: tgaetto
20-24 hrs @90 an hr =18-2160 just to R&R at Chicago labor rates
WOW!! That's an 8-10 hour build tops, where do they get off?!?!

Anyhow, not a bad deal for the build listedbut it's NOT gonna make those numbers without head work at 95". Does that price include the sert and pipes and AC? if it does, it's a steal

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:29 AM
05Fatty
|
Road Master

I've continued to do research and I think I will stick with the 95" kit. I think I found a different engine builder too, the guy who builds motors for Donnie Smith Customs. They are only a couple of miles away and they said they generally use HQ or Kuryakyn for the 95" HD builds they do. They guy I need to talk to is out right now but hopefully I will get some prices soon.

I've already got the PCIII, Big Sucker and Rinehart 2-1 so that will save some cost.

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:43 AM
Phast Lap
Tourer

I just finished my 98" build from HQ and all I can say is what a hotrod. I am totally in love with this thing, it runs great! The guys at HQ are the best as well. Doug or Kevin will not steer you wrong. I am running the Rinehart 2 into 1 as well and this pipe rocks with the HQ build, I just wish my end cap would quit turning purple. I also am very confident based on conversations with PhilM that you will be able to pull 100 HP / 100 ft/lbs TQ out of the HQ 95" kit. I cannot imagine going with a bigger build, this thing is already trying to pull my arms out of their sockets every time I ride it.

Here is a link to my build for reference -

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2699412/tm.htm

Also if you go to Head Qaurters USA web site you can build up your kit based on riding style and get an idea on price.

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ushome.html

Old 02-19-2008 | 01:04 PM
05Fatty
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Phast Lap

I just finished my 98" build from HQ and all I can say is what a hotrod. I am totally in love with this thing, it runs great! The guys at HQ are the best as well. Doug or Kevin will not steer you wrong. I am running the Rinehart 2 into 1 as well and this pipe rocks with the HQ build, I just wish my end cap would quit turning purple. I also am very confident based on conversations with PhilM that you will be able to pull 100 HP / 100 ft/lbs TQ out of the HQ 95" kit. I cannot imagine going with a bigger build, this thing is already trying to pull my arms out of their sockets every time I ride it.

Here is a link to my build for reference -

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2699412/tm.htm

Also if you go to Head Qaurters USA web site you can build up your kit based on riding style and get an idea on price.

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ushome.html

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the HQ kit but price is a concern for me. I may have to wait until I can afford something worth while. When you put your kit together did you add the decompression valves, pushrods, pushrod covers or lifters? The 98" kit looks like it will be around $2700 for parts with the package, cams and cam install parts.

Old 02-19-2008 | 05:34 PM
Phast Lap
Tourer

Yes, I also did the gear driven cams. Total was around $3K for the parts. You could do just the HQ cam upgrade. I have heard good reviews on that approach as well.

Old 02-19-2008 | 05:42 PM
hawg50
Tourer

mine was done by an indy shop,less that 2 grand for otd.

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:48 PM
asuperheat
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 05Fatty

Now you guys have me really thinking about this whole thing. The stuff on HQ site looks great but quite a bit more expensive. On top of that, I'm starting to consider going bigger than 95".
Thats how it starts oh boy its gona get expensive but hell the ride is fun, and oh yea I would do it all over again!

Old 02-20-2008 | 01:48 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 05Fatty
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the HQ kit but price is a concern for me. I may have to wait until I can afford something worth while. When you put your kit together did you add the decompression valves, pushrods, pushrod covers or lifters? The 98" kit looks like it will be around $2700 for parts with the package, cams and cam install parts.
If you have to take extra time and save the extra scratch to get it the way you want it the first time you might want to do it. I did the 95" 37G cam stock head build and was not impressed. It made 83/96 and was soft on the bottom, my dads 95" 204 cam build would kick its azz on the bottom end. I now have the 95" HQ touring build set at 10.1 and made 104/100 with what I consider a middle of the road tune. I wish I would have done this the 1st time around, but we all have to live and learn.

Old 02-21-2008 | 02:06 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

I bought some used 95" jugs and pistons, as well as a used SE 204 cams. I have not got to installing it, as I need the gaskets and bearings (and I am still worried about doing it myself). I called an Indy shop today to see what they would charge for the install. He quoted me $650... I am sure that is a bad price, but heck, I sure don't have it...Does that seem reasonable? I still think I could do it myself... I just wish Phil or one of you other knowledgeable guys lived closer to me...

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I know I made the mistake of paying someone to do my 95" 37g cam build, I found out when I took it apart a year later to do my HQ build the previous builder didn't use the .030 head gaskets I ask for. The labor on my 1st build was 500 bucks, but then I was buying the parts from him and his shop rate is around $58 - $60 per hour. I won't pay anyone to do what I can do anymore. I didn't do the 1st build because I was just plain and simple chicken, don't know why since I've built and tuned engines for my brothers race cars and other folks cars. The biggest things that took my nerves away was some PM's between Philm and I, he kind of compared it to working on a lawnmower which cinched it for me.

Quick Reply: 95" Build