Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ipod or xm radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM
mysticwolf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod or xm radio

Hey guys and gals, Im looking to buy a ipod for the RG, but also been thinking about xm radio. What do you have? Also what is the monthly fee's for xm radio? does it change for state to state, or is it the same every where? 2. Where is a good place to buy xm? Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ipod or xm radio

I've got an xm in my truck and I think it was about 100.00 for a year. I really like it alot

Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son bought me a nice mp3 player for my birthday last year. Loaded it up with more music than I have time to listen to and no subsription fees!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Drifting Texas
Tourer

I got a trial membership to XM radio when I bought a Pontiac Grand Prixthat has an XM radio receiver it inand didn't care for it. I don't care for talk radio and when I listened to the music stations they would play a few good songs followed by song after song of crap. When a song would come up that I liked I would press the info button on the radio to find out who it was and it always came back with the message, "No Information". It reminded me of listening to the local college radio station.

I have an 2 Gig Sandisk MP3 player that takes micro SD memory. Right now I have a 2 Gig micro SD card in it giving me 4 Gig of music space. I also have a Rhapsody to go account and that allows me to download all the music I want for $14.99a month. That's the way to go.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
UpOn2
Intermediate

I use an MP3 player all the time. First had a Dell then Ipod, just moved up to the Itouch. Dell and Ipod have small disk drive and did have a tendency to lock up, probalby from vibration even though I wrapped them in foam and put them in the glove box (on Road Glide).The Itouch is flash memory and works real well, long battery life. They also used up the battery on long trips. I often ride over 500 miles per day on my long trips and the cigarette lighter outlet gets taken by my GPS.Some of the smaller Ipods are flash memory and may work well too.

Have Satellite in my truck, came with the purchase of the truck and I did not renew it. Too many dead spots in the trees/tunnels/etc. for my liking.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Sirius, about $12 per month. Good variety of music with NO commercials and I don't have to hassle downloading music when I could be ridin'.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:23 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

XM RADIO COST $19.00 - BUILT IN FM MOD POWER SUPPLY ATTACHED TO THE BACK SIDE OF THE CIG LIGHTER IN THE FAIRING - WORKS GREAT... ALSO USE A MP3 PLAYER (4-GIG) WHAT I HAVE SET-UP IN MU GLOVE BOX ALSO WITH A FM MOD AND THE POWER RUNNING THRU THT FAIRING...

Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

I subscribed to XM for 3 months after I bought my Zumo. I got three more months free when I told them I wanted to cancel. Never used any of the three free months. I found no difference in XM and local Clear Channel stations playlist-wise. While XM doesn't do commercials on some channels, they spend just as much time promoting themselves. If you like talk, it might be different. I now use my Zumo and an 8Gig memory card with ALL of my cds on it.Sirius may have a better selection of music channels, but that is just from very limited observation on my part.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
jogg77
Intermediate

I use both the XM came with the bike and I also have it in the car when I got my contract it was a four year deal worked out to be about $5.50 a month if you ride enough or your in your car all the time its worth it.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:34 AM
jmehal
Cruiser

I personally love my Sirius satellite radio on my Ultra, I think I'd prefer it over an Ipod. While driving I don't have tointeract withit exceptto change the channel.I dont want to have to pick something to play like on an ipod. Don't want to have to burn CDs or purchase music or maintain a library. I'd rather have a random stream of every kind of music imagineable at my fingertips, that's satellite radio. I've had both XM and Sirius, I currently prefer Sirius' music channel selection.

I have 14 presets on mine to allow quick selection of a station. Honestly I listen to Classical and New Age most of the time on the bike, makes a great crusing soundtrack. The model I have I am able to move from the Bike to my truck as needed. It's powered from the front cigarette lighter and antenna is velcroed to the upper dash just off my right handlebar. I run the line out from itinto the Aux port on the bike stereo.
If I want to listen to something pre-recorded, I have a CD player right there in the dash and I keep a dozen or so CDs in the lid of the tour pak.

Sirius is $12.95/mo, and $6.99 for each addtional receiver

Quick Reply: ipod or xm radio