Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upset or not!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upset or not!

Took my 07 SG in for 15,000 mile service the other day no problems on the way home. Riding the next day, had to stop by the dealership, as I am leaving got down the road about a mile and the check engine light comes on. Hmmmm I slow down and it goes off, taking off here it comes back on again. Ok, only a mile or so from the dealer, they take it right in. A few minutes later they have it parked outside, and I am told it is throwing false codes, and don’t worry about it. He goes on to tell me it is showing a code for no compression. But ride it anyways I is ok to drive. Thought they had taken care of the problem but light come on when cruising and off when I slow to a stop. Bike is running alright, as I knock on wood. Anyone else heard of this problem?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts
Default RE: Upset or not!

I would have a problem with the statement that it's just throwing false codes don't worry about it. The ECUdoesn't just throw codes up for no reason. At the very least there is a faulty sensor that needs repair/replacement.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:12 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

its amazing how many dealers will not take the time to fix something that is obviously wrong a check engine light goes on and their answer ride it dont worry ,go to different dealer untill the problem is fixed ,why do we keep taking this **** from them

Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Don't worry about it" isn't something I want to hear from a mechanic. Anytime they say that, I worry about it! I'd worry about it so much, I'd probably find myself another mechanic.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upset. The dealer should find the problem.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 AM
philb252
Advanced

Yes, I had the exact same thing- I checked over the engine and found that the rear spark plug wire was not snapped into place- the wire boot was over the plug but it wasn't snapped all the way home- no codes since

Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Since they would not or could not fix it,this is a good clue to take your bike to another dealer.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 AM
mgilzean
Novice

Turtleman, probably not related, but here's my story. Late last spring, after riding home after 5K service from the dealership my check engine light came on followed by a brief period (a few seconds) of rough idle. The light cleared and I noticed no code indicator on the speedometer. I thought it was a fluke and then kept on riding. Then, about 15 miles up the road while cruising at about 60 mph I lost all power. Nothing, just the sound of air across my ears. Weird. I coasted off the road and stopped, thanking my luck stars that there was no one on the two-lane highway but me. After parking it for a few minutes I started it back up without any problem and rode the rest of the way home, which was about another 25 miles. When I got home I called the dealership and related the story, to which they said I needed to bring it back so they could troubleshoot it and look for any codes. Took it back a few days later (still no problems) and they looked it over hard, but found nothing. The service guy said that, based on everything I told him, it sounded like the bike got too wet in certain areas while on the wash rack. This made perfect sense and once the bike was dry (after it completely lost power) I had no other problems with it. Again, don't think this was related to your issues, but wanted to throw it out there. Too me, I learned that you got tot be a little careful when washing your bike.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:33 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain

Well I did lean more towards being upset, than not. I will give this dealership another shot at it tomorrow, as I have a HOG chapter meeting there that evening. That may not be the best thing to do, but I will give it a shot. Thanks for all who answered so quick, you guys here on this forum are the best! This is the best group for information and smiles and rants, once again thanks.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because everybody has gotten complacent and lazy.
After a couple times it's normal, run around by the dealer and moco
they give up.
don't ever give up. There are procedures in place to hep you.
Send a couple certified return receipt letter to HD (the CEO).
Then file with the FTC (keep a copy).
Then if above fails, go to small claims court (name the dealers owner by
name as a defendant and HD CEO.. this way they personally have to appear
in court, not just their lawyer).
You still may not win but pretty soon after getting their azz hauled into court
by everybody they will get tired of the hassle and start doing things the right
way.
But EVERYBODY has to get off their lazy azzes and do something!!!
I don't like lawsuits, but sometimes it is your only option.

ORIGINAL: IBHarley

its amazing how many dealers will not take the time to fix something that is obviously wrong a check engine light goes on and their answer ride it dont worry ,go to different dealer untill the problem is fixed ,why do we keep taking this **** from them

Quick Reply: Upset or not!