Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel- Moto USA

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Fuel- Moto USA

To all requesting the map tweak to improve mileage (e.g., Rayclay, LKHA, and fishguy001):

I've been experimenting with this for some time and have settled on some basic values for the low-end of the map (1k-3k @ 0-20% TP) while leaving the high-end intact. In the interest of performance I haven't altered any values greater than 20% TP or 3k RPM, so once you twist the throttle you will be in Jamie's unaltered section. Tweaking for mileage is a juggling act, and what's good for one bike may not be ideal for another, as there are many variables.

First, I run a map that's very lean in the cruise range, which gives me near optimum mileage for this engine, IMO. The downside to leaning for mileage is heat, and therein lies the compromise. There are three factors that allow me to lean my cruise range more than most should:

1. Synthetic oil (should reduce oil temps 5-10°, perhaps a bit more, over fossil oil)

2. Oil cooler (should reduce peak oil temps 20°, perhaps more)

3. Multifunction Hub with Map Switch. This is a little-known option for the PCIII that I've installed which allows switching between two maps on the fly. I have Map 1 as my lean map (see attached) that I run 99% of the time, and Map 2, which is Jamie's original for the custom baffle kit. When the going gets hot (heavy traffic in summer temps) I can switch to Map 2 to help cool things down. The downside to this option is the cost ($150), which may not be cost effective since the mileage decrease resulting from a richer A/F would take quite some time to make up for this $150 purchase. But having two maps to choose from on the fly means that the lean map can be leaner than you might normally want to run if you only had one map option.

If you run an oil cooler and use a high-quality synthetic oil (e.g. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, etc.) I think you can run this map if you keep an eye on oil temps. I haven't done an exhaust gas analysis for these values, although I may try someday, but my guess they're running 14.0-14.5 A/F. Jamie likes to keep the cruise range at about 13.5:1 in the interest of cooling. Keep in mind that the stock '07 and later bikes (also '06 Dynas) run at stoich (14.7:1) when in closed-loop mode. Closed-loop is effected once the bike is warm and you are between 0-2850 rpms and below 50% TP, which are approximates that I understand to be used in the Dephi system. However, the info is proprietary and isn't readily available to everyone, much less me. Last summer I ran a similar setup and saw temps rise to 230° only twice during heavy traffic in very not weather, so I feel confident recommending it with the caveat that YMMV. There are other indicators, too, like detonation, exhaust-pipe discoloration, and surging. Surging when cold is not a problem unless you have hesitation, which could be a safety factor. A burp at the wrong time can leave your pride an joy on its side. I look at mufflers and the exposed section of exhaust near the nose cone. On my bike I'm seeing no discoloration there.

You can try putting these values in your map, but you're on your own. This works well for me, but I would advise you to watch oil temps closely in hot weather. If they routinely climb above 230° in hot weather I would raise these values maybe +5 at a time, but don't exceed the values for any given block in Jamie's original map. Don't alter anything outside the section I'm showing here, as doing so will affect performance, which none of us wants to decrease. Since we're not in the throttle too often (are we?), mileage shouldn't be affected much by rich values that enhance performance.

Y'all let me know how this goes for you! I'd like to know if it works for others, too. I'm getting 38-40 in city riding with many cold starts and 50 mpg (max) for riding on the backroads at 55mph.

Edit (06/25/08): The map shown below is my current tweak. There are two attached maps below it, and PCIII-3c-CR.jpg is the old tweak that I have not been able to delete. Use PCIII-3e-CR.jpg instead.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 PM
mikeboztx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the new kit on in Jan. This was on a TC 88. I just put it on and set throttle (with map Jamie loaded). I had it dynoed last week, picked up 6 HP. The thing I liked the most was the A/F ratio. From idle to rev limiter it stayed right on the 13.7 line.

This was a good start, I think cams will be next.

MIKE

Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Fishguy001
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the great info iclick !

Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Fishguy001

thanks for the great info iclick !
You're welcome. Y'all please note the edit I made this AM to my last message, in boldface at the bottom.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a custom Map from Jamie and it is foe true duells, with only one fuel table, do you think reducing values on this map will work for my map? Thanks Doc

Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HDDOC

I have a custom Map from Jamie and it is foe true duells, with only one fuel table, do you think reducing values on this map will work for my map? Thanks Doc
Try it. Reduce most values to "0" or even lower in the cruise range, but don't go too lean at 20% or you may get a flat spot at roll-on. Watch that oil temperature and signs that you're too lean! Seat-of-the-pants tuning is okay if you keep your eyes and ears open.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Delmarksman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting reading. Bump for future reference.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 AM
HD32141
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btt

Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I'm gooing to give this a try today. Do you have the original map for reference?