Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gloves vs Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008 | 12:40 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Heated Gloves vs Heated Grips

I dont believe heated grips would he me as its only my fingertips that get cold...rest of my hands stay warm.....:&gt

Old 02-17-2008 | 12:46 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There are merits to both. On my RK, where my hands were exposed to the wind, I do NOT think heated grips would have sufficed. I bought a pair of heated glove liners, ($70 or so), which when worn under a pair of loose fitting mid weight gloves, kept my hands toasty warm.

My Ultra has heated grips, and due to the fairing, my hands are NOT exposed to the wind. I use those same mid weight gloves, and can feel the heat thru the gloves. The only cold I notice is my finger tips, and it sets in after a bit, depending upon speed, distances, temperature, etc.

Personally........I think glove liners work better, but they are not as convenient as the heated grips are. I think it all comes down to temps, and how far you are going. If we are talking 30s, and less than 20 miles, heated grips would probably do you just fine.

Old 02-17-2008 | 12:50 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use glove liner it's make a big difference to me and the cost is about $5.00

Old 02-17-2008 | 03:17 PM
Kagan
Tourer

I've only run my heated grips since last fall but I love 'em. I have 3 sets of regular gloves that I can choose from based on the air temp. One person compared heated foot pegs to keep your toes warm is ridiculous and to a degree that's true. I still need to move my hands around a bit to benefit from heat transfer but I'd be one of those idiots who parked and walked away from their bikes tearing the wiring harness out of heated gloves.

Old 02-17-2008 | 04:08 PM
savingforhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to your local walmart.. get those heating pad things. Like hunters use. the cost under 4 bucks. last for 12 hours..
I live in wisconsin ride in all kinds of weather. bought a pair of good mittens throw those babies in.. better than any heated grip or gloves.. save your money for more chrome..

Old 02-17-2008 | 04:30 PM
heywood727
Road Master

I have the heated grips on the Heritage. I like them a lot. Lets me use my thinner glover longer. We have big temperature swings from morning to dusk. The HD one's adjust to the temperature that they lose. Set them at 2, hit the highway at 60, they warm up.... slow down coming into the city.....they cool down on their own.

I also use them when it's raining as well. Gloves may get wet, and the wind cools them down, but the grips keep my hands nice and warm. Sometimes it's not only the temperature that causes a chill, also humidity.

I still have the larger insulated gloves, but I don't like the feel of the clutch and brake with them on. Before I use to have to put my hand on the rear cylinder to get it warm. Great for one hand, not the other.

I bought them when they first came out. They were expensive and they did have some problems with them. I'm on myfourth set. I went through3 the first year.
1st set......too hot andleft a glove seam in the throttle grip.
2nd set......broken control switch, wouldn't turn on
3rd set.......broken wire in one grip.

The4th set I had put on in the spring of the next year. MOCO fixed the design problems because I've had them on for 4 yrs now and haven't had a single problem. A few of my friends put them on the next year, and none of them havehad a single problem with them that I know of.

My dealer was great about them. They only warranty them for 90 days. They looked the other way with the 4th set due to the fact that I couldn't have ridden in the winter and replaced them. 3rd went on in October and 4th went on in late March the next year. They didn't have to replace them...but they did.

I'll be looking for a set for the RG soon...I'm sold