Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gloves vs Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008 | 06:32 AM
binkman78
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heated Gloves vs Heated Grips

Gore-Tex/Thinsulate Military Gloves - $39.95 at Cabela's, been on two wheels for 40 years and they are
excellent -not too bulky, just break them in before winter....[/align]

Old 02-17-2008 | 07:06 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

In New England, land of the frozen tundra, I use Gerbings.

Heated grips are much less effective.

I can do a 3oo mile ride in below freezing weather in total comfort, with a 3/4 helmet and face shield, my Gerbing jacket/gloves/pants and socks.

and move them from bike to bike.

Old 02-17-2008 | 07:37 AM
Jager
Cruiser

The huge advantage of heated grips is their simple convenience - just flip a switch. And they are very effective in moderating the effects of modestly-cool temps, allowing you to run thinner gloves longer.

But when it gets truly cold, heated gloves (along with heated vested/jacket liner) are a miracle. The downside with them is they're a bit of a pain in the *** running the wires and such when you're getting dressed.

If the MoCo had heated grips as a factory option, I wouldn't have thought twice about getting them. They're one of those things you think you don't really need - until the first time you try them - and then you wonder why the hell every manufacturer doesn't put them on all their bikes. But they only get you to second base. Heated gloves will get you home.

Old 02-17-2008 | 10:15 AM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my heated gloves

Old 02-17-2008 | 10:36 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My heated grips (07 Ultra) are hardly worth the weight they add to the GVW. Even on mildly cool days - low 40s - a good pair of gloves provides all the warmth required, and on the cold days a good pair ofgloves is the only way tokeep your hands warm. As previously noted, heated grips only warm your palms and it's likelygonna be your fingers that need warming up. After a few disappointing trials with theheated grips I just carry a couple different weights of glovesat all times -afterall, there's plenty of room inthe saddlebags. (But I love my heated seat on cold mornings!!!)

Old 02-17-2008 | 11:00 AM
FLHR143
Cruiser

I've never tried the heated grips butI have used heated gloves for the last 4 years, I like them.

Old 02-17-2008 | 11:42 AM
ridrkg
Advanced

I had heated grips on(HD) on my 99 UC and really liked them. I didn't like the idea of having to connect and disconnect everytime I took gloves off.Often, even in the summerwhen it cools off at night andI am wearing either no gloves or very light ones, a simpletwist of the temp know makes my hands nice and warm without having to stop and change gloves. I have been using heated grips on snowmobiles for years with great success. I have a set for my 08 UC, but have not yet installed them.

Old 02-17-2008 | 12:04 PM
iann8ik
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heated gloves rule. adds 20 degrees to my riding pleasure!

Old 02-17-2008 | 12:11 PM
TazInCT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got Symtec's "Heat Demons" on my bike and I love em. Best price I could find is here:
http://www.squadfitters.com/catalog/...s-grip-warmers

Old 02-17-2008 | 12:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Heated gloves

Pro: Keep your hands very warm, but you'll need a controller too.

Con: Wiring through jacket is a hassle, which could be alleviated by using a heated vest too. You can pre-wire your jacket like I did, or run the wires when you need the gloves. I'm going back to the latter to avoid feeling wires even when I'm not using the gloves. You do feel them, and I'd rather not have them there all the time.

Heated grips

Pro: No wires to hassle with, except during the installation.

Cons:
1. Expensive
2. Reliability and durability aren't strong suits, judging from opinions on this forum.
3. May not warm hands as efficiently since warmth comes from the palm, not the surface where the cold is.

I have the Gerbings "Classic" gloves, which are bulkier than the current G3's, along with an HD single controller. You will need a controller, as they will get too hot if left on for long periods. Once heated up, you'll constantly be switching on and off unless you have a controller, which allows infinite adjustment. Buy the controller from Chicago HD ($48 vs. $55 from Zanotti's), as the HD controller is the same as the Gerbings but has the case/belt clip in the kit, which is optional with Gerbings. Believe it or not the HD controller is cheaper.

Quick Reply: Heated Gloves vs Heated Grips