Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on my summer Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suggestions on my summer Road Trip

Well it's been a brutal winter here in Utah!!! Springs around the corner and I am planning my 10 day road trip. This year we are heading west to the northern California coast up the coast through Oregon east at the Columbia gorge through Idaho into Great falls Montana Red Lodge South through somewhere back to Utah. Approx. 3000 miles. Looking for some suggestions on places to see, roads to take, (we prefer to keep to the back roads and stay off the interstate as much as possible. was wondering about the crown point hwy vs. hwy 84 through the Columbia gorge.Thanks in advance for the help. By the way I just started using the HD road trip planner on theHDweb sitepretty neat.......

Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions on my summer Road Trip

You're coming west and I'm going east! I would saygothrough the gorgeon WA side on 14 out of Vancouver, WA.Nice, and less traffic, beautiful views and stop in Stevenson brewery for a beer. Cross over at hood river have a beer at one of their many renowned breweries and head east on 84 until you get to Mosier and take old hwy. 30. It takes you to a look out point where there are awesome views up and down the gorge. Then take 84 to 97 south and then take 206 to condon then on 206/207 to 74 into Pendelton. Lots of rolling hills, less traffic. Onto 84 east. If you have time, go into Hells Canyon out of Baker city and see some of Oregons finest. Or, if your so inclined go into WA and head up the coast on 101 and wrap around through Forks and across the Straight of Juan De Fuca into Port Townsend, take the ferry to Oak Harbor up into Sedro Wooley and across the North Cascade Hwy. It's absolutely Beautiful. You'll end up in Winthrop, WA, an old western town. From there you have many options on which way to get to ID, be it through Coeur D'Alene or head south to Boise. Enjoy!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take your avitar with you and it wont matter where you go the scenery will be beautiful!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer

Thanks Jonny D!!! Thats what I'm looking for a little local insight.....

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take Highway 50..."The Lonliest Road in America". They have a little passport thingy you can get free and have stamped at any gas station in each town along the way (Fallon, Ely, etc.) and the Chamber of Commerce sewnds you a cool certificate and pin!)

50 takes you into Lake Tahoe on the north shore...beautiful ride! From there, take 395 to Susanville, then 44 to 89 and you'll end up at Mount Shasta. Out of there, a run up I-5 to Winston, then 42 to Coos Bay, OR...that will put you on the 101 coast highway....excellent!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Both JohnnyD and nmfxstc have good suggestions.

As JohnnyD suggested, stay off I-84 if you can. It's pretty well travelled. The WA side has the same views and is 2 lane for the most part. 84 is the south river bank, and SR14 is the north river bank.

One modification you might do to nmfxstc's route is, once you get to My Shasta, instead of heading north on I-5 to Winston, head south to Redding and the take 299 to the coast. That will put you in Eureka/Arcata area. Then you can head north on 101 and go through some of the Redwood groves that are south of Crescent City. You could make a stop at the Trees of Mystery and take a walking tour through the trees. They also have a sky tram that takes you to a lookout point with some amazing views. Well worth it in my opinion.

When are you doing this? Spring on the No-Cal and Oregon coast can be wet. Be prepared.

Zach

Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer

Hwy 50 is the first leg of our journey and we will wind up inEureka and head up Hwy101, hwy 299 sounds good thanks. we plan to stay in Coos bay one night Cannon beach area the next but I am looking for a place between Cannon Beach Oregonand Lolo hot springs Montana, any suggestions?