Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solo tour pak rack and corbin seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts
Default solo tour pak rack and corbin seat

okay, so tried to find this in the archives, but no luck. is there anyone who has a corbin classic solo that has installed the solo tour pak rack? been f*cking with this thing for the past couple hours and just doesn't seem to want to fit right. given the detailed and easy to understand directions that hd gives you (*cough* *cough*) i don't think i am putting in on wrong. pics of a successful installation would be awesome.

my bike is an 07 road king.

thanks guys

Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM
rpt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: solo tour pak rack and corbin seat

My wife's Road Glide has the Corbin classic close solo seat and the detachable solo tour pak (leather). I have to remove the seat to install the solo tour pak and then reinstall the seat. She usually rides with the Corbin back rest but that has to come off if the tour pak is installed because the leather ones open forward. We had Corbin make a +2 inch back rest for the tour pak and she uses that when the pak is on. What do you need pictures of?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:45 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

i'm having trouble with the attaching points for the detachable hardware....

Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
drdave
Cruiser

my corbin classic solo would not fit with the detachable solo tour rack. the back of the seat would rub significantly with the front bar on the bottom of the tour rack. i could have forced it, but it would have pushed into the seat at least 1/4-3/8". would have worked if i trimmed a piece of that chome cross piece on the tour rack.on the corbin solo i had, the back of the seat came down over the holes to bolt to the rear fender, whereas the mustang and other seats simply have the tabs coming out behind the seat to bolt to the fender. that makes a significant difference in the seat - at least 2" longer, and that was what was rubbing on the tour rack. no alternative other than to trim the solo tour rack if the corbin seat stayed.

i have heard that corbin may possibly make a seat that compensates for this if you specifically ask them when ordered, but that is just heresay. i do not know if it is true or not.

if i can ever get a used solo tour rack cheap somewhere, i may try to do some trimming and then move the tour pak back about an inch or so on the rack itself. for now, it goes in the two-up position. bummer. only negative i have with corbin seats.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Phast Lap
Tourer

I have the Corbin Classic Solo and it will fit, but not much room to spare. You do have to take the seat off to install the tour pack and the put the seat on. Here is a link to a thread with some pics. Let me know exactly what your problem is and I will take additional pics of mine for you.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2743503/tm.htm

Old 02-16-2008, 03:54 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: drdave

my corbin classic solo would not fit with the detachable solo tour rack. the back of the seat would rub significantly with the front bar on the bottom of the tour rack. i could have forced it, but it would have pushed into the seat at least 1/4-3/8". would have worked if i trimmed a piece of that chome cross piece on the tour rack.on the corbin solo i had, the back of the seat came down over the holes to bolt to the rear fender, whereas the mustang and other seats simply have the tabs coming out behind the seat to bolt to the fender. that makes a significant difference in the seat - at least 2" longer, and that was what was rubbing on the tour rack. no alternative other than to trim the solo tour rack if the corbin seat stayed.

i have heard that corbin may possibly make a seat that compensates for this if you specifically ask them when ordered, but that is just heresay. i do not know if it is true or not.

if i can ever get a used solo tour rack cheap somewhere, i may try to do some trimming and then move the tour pak back about an inch or so on the rack itself. for now, it goes in the two-up position. bummer. only negative i have with corbin seats.
that is the problem i have with mine. the back of the seat hits the front of the tourpak rack. i thought about trimming it, but it would almost have to cut off almost all of the thickness on the front of the rack. i think that would then seriously compromise the side to side strength of the rack.

for the corbins that do fit, i wonder if the mounting post is in the front or the rear? mine is in the rear.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Phast Lap
Tourer

My mounting post is in the front.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

that must be why you are able to put your seat on after the tour pak. i thought about that when i was first having problems and there is absolutely no way it will work on mine. i think i'm screwed. anyone got a solo harley seat to get rid of cheap?

Old 02-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Phast Lap
Tourer

I would think you could clearance around the area where it interferes with the seat without reducing the strength much. the mounting plate is bolted through the u-shaped tube which adds stength to the whole assembly. Check this thread out as well, I was worrried if I could make mine work but I got lucky I guess. If you need pics I will try and help any way I can.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1708164/tm.htm

Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

In the "NOTES" section of the Classic Solo for '08 Street Glides, Corbin's website says the solo rack will work with the Classic Solo:

Designed to work with a variety of Harley-Davidson accessory items like detachable sissy bars and Tour Paks. It's not possible to test all possible accessories, but we have confirmed the following most popular items:
[ul][*]Tall Detachable Sissy Bar #529337A (with HD or Corbin pad)[*]Short Detachable Sissy Bar #52935-04 (with HD or Corbin pad)[*]Two up Tour Pak Rack #53303-07[*]Solo Tour Pak Rack #53260-02 [*]Tour Pak models: #53147-98B, #53018-04A, #53092-05 & #53690-06[*]Corbin Streamliner trunk on H-D Tour-Pak rack #53303-07 or #53260-02 [/ul]

Didn't check Corbin's fitment for the '07 RK, but if you're having a problem, I'd check the website to see if they say it will work with your rig.

EDIT--After posting the above, I checked the Corbin website for '07 RK Custom fitment of the solo with the solo detachable rack and found this CONTRADICTORY declaration:

The Harley-Davidson SOLO tour pac (part #53260-02) does NOT work with the Corbin solo seat on Roadkings, FLH or Road Glides.

Confusing to say the least.

Quick Reply: solo tour pak rack and corbin seat