Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:39 PM
nowski91381
|
Tourer
Default Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)

So I've been doing a lot of research on the kind of oil I was going to use for my 1k service so I went to Autozone and bought 4 quarts of Mobil 1 V-twin and a quart of 75w90 for the tranny and was going to go with Harley oil for the primary. I get there(theHDshop)and put my oil up on the counter and the guy starts looking at the 75w90 and goes back and talks to another mechanic, comes back and says that they both think that 75w90 is TOOHEAVY to use in the transmission, and of course with me being a dumba** noob when it comes to that I go ahead and believe him. He said I could use the M1 20w50 in all 3 but of course I don't have another 2 quarts. I go to Advance Auto Parts, and they don't have any, Wal-mart didn't have any so I called him back and he suggested that I just go with Syn3 in all 3. I said yeah just do that but I think I'm just going to call back tomorrow and tell him to use the 75w90 considering that's what A LOTof people on here are using without having any problems, does that sound like a good idea? So when I call him back should I just tell him to use the syn3 in the primary or just regular Harley oil, or what??? Thanks!

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:50 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Default RE: Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)

the "Great Oil Debate will never end. SYN3 in all 3 holes is fine, and there is never a supply issue.

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:55 PM
hogdoc
Banned

Mechanics? at Autozone? Who said not to use 75/90 someone at Autozone or a mechanic at a dealership thats working on the bike? Redline Heavy Shockproof is 75W250. We (all the mechanics at my shop) all use it in our bikes. Its the best stuff to use in a trans. You can use M1 or Syn 3 in the tranny but you WILL have a leak at the shift shaft seal sometime down the road. Its not an IF, its a WHEN.

Old 02-16-2008 | 12:02 AM
nowski91381
|
Tourer

It was the mechanics at the HD shop that were saying that it was too heavy...I can't find Redline Shockproof anywhere around here and I would've ordered it but it wouldn't have been here in time to take my bike in...

Old 02-16-2008 | 12:37 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Dude, you're going to give yourself a headache...... Don't stress it, since the bikes already their and you have to learn from your mistakes, just call them back and tell them to put in H-D Formula+ trans/primary fluid in your bike. It's fine and won't cost you an arm and a leg. If you want to change out your fluids to something more costly down the road, buy it yourself, get a drain pan and change it yourself. These are a few of the easiest things a "Newbie" can do himself. My advice to you is to search the oil forums on here and read until you can't read no more, then go buy a good old run of the mill 15/40 or 20/50(depending on your climate) and change out the oils every few thousand miles. Check on other filters as well, there are some very good alternatives to buying MOCO. These motors were made to last and have been for years. Oil companies want your money and will sell you $10/quart oil all day, and claim it will last for 5 or 10K, but are you going to go that long? I don't, so why use what you don't have to and pay what you shouldn't. Ask the guys who have been riding for years and put 100K plus miles on their bikes, there's plenty of them out there. Good luck and just change em often.

Old 02-16-2008 | 03:23 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

I do my own fluid change... I use 20w-50 in the engine, 75w-90 in the trans, and either 20w-50, or Formula +, in the primary... I perfer to use Amsoil, but any are fine... in the primary, you can use synthetic, although there is debate on whether or not it is good to use something so slick when the clutch is envolved, plus, the primary does not need synthetic, which is why I use formula + most often... Sure, you don't have to use synthetic, and I change fluids every 3-5k, but I use the synthetic because I live in NM and it can get pretty hot here... BTW, it is very simple to change your own fluids...

Old 02-16-2008 | 03:53 AM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

Relax. Let them put in their Syn3. Change to whatever you decide @ 2500 - 3000 miles. Ride and enjoy your scoot.

Old 02-16-2008 | 04:25 AM
nowski91381
|
Tourer

I guess I was just wondering why 2 mechanics would say that the 75w90 is too heavy...the M1 20w50 is already there at the shop and so is the 75w90 for the trans...so my main questionis should I just call them and tell them to use the 20w50,75w90 and the formula+ in the primary or go with the syn3...

Old 02-16-2008 | 04:37 AM
azhole
Road Master

If they document that you used their choice at first change, then it looks good on papaer.
You can do whatever you like later, provided you don't use an inferior product. Don't get in any hurry, but don't wait too long between fluid services either, whether you do it or they do it. Those are the biggest issues.

Don't over torque or cross thread your plugs and you'll do fine. If you put too much teflon paste or tape on your plug you'll push the O ring out of place, so don't over do it on that stuff if you use it. Things I'm learning from experience, and not all good experience, but all good lessons.

Old 02-16-2008 | 05:28 AM
relli
Road Warrior

i use 75/90 amsoil severe service and its great. 20/50 amsoil inthe other holes.no worrys

Quick Reply: Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)