Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008 | 09:12 PM
pistole
Tourer
Default RE: Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)

ORIGINAL: nowski91381

So I've been doing a lot of research on the kind of oil I was going to use for my 1k service so I went to Autozone and bought 4 quarts of Mobil 1 V-twin and a quart of 75w90 for the tranny and was going to go with Harley oil for the primary. I get there(theHDshop)and put my oil up on the counter and the guy starts looking at the 75w90 and goes back and talks to another mechanic, comes back and says that they both think that 75w90 is TOOHEAVY to use in the transmission, and of course with me being a dumba** noob when it comes to that I go ahead and believe him. He said I could use the M1 20w50 in all 3 but of course I don't have another 2 quarts. I go to Advance Auto Parts, and they don't have any, Wal-mart didn't have any so I called him back and he suggested that I just go with Syn3 in all 3. I said yeah just do that but I think I'm just going to call back tomorrow and tell him to use the 75w90 considering that's what A LOTof people on here are using without having any problems, does that sound like a good idea? So when I call him back should I just tell him to use the syn3 in the primary or just regular Harley oil, or what??? Thanks!
- if you can't even make an oil decision by yourself
(and have the resolve to stick to your own decisions),
then just leave it to the dearlership whatever oil
they want to put into your bike.

- less headache , for you.

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:07 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)

It was the mechanics at the HD shop that were saying that it was too heavy.
Geez...and these guys are Harley certified???? And they work on customer's bikes?? Unreal.

CN