Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008 | 05:41 AM
campincowboy
Tourer
Default RE: Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)

Let them put their oil in this time, and save your oil for 5k service. Many thousands have used their oils for years with no ill effects, so I doubt you'll be the first. Plus as azhole stated you'll be on record for using hd stuff if warranty is needed. After 30+ yrs as a mechanic, I've never seen a failure caused by using any specific oil regularly. Not servicing regularly is main culprit. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:18 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer

ORIGINAL: campincowboy

Let them put their oil in this time, and save your oil for 5k service. Many thousands have used their oils for years with no ill effects, so I doubt you'll be the first. Plus as azhole stated you'll be on record for using hd stuff if warranty is needed. After 30+ yrs as a mechanic, I've never seen a failure caused by using any specific oil regularly. Not servicing regularly is main culprit. Good luck.
I agree...........

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:27 AM
martin1
Cruiser

The dealer mechanics are not informed. 75W90 gear lube is the equivilantto 37.5/45 when comparing the viscosity with motor oil. That being said, the new HD trans/primary fluid is a good choice and I see no reason not to use it. Cost wise, it isnt a deal breaker.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:49 AM
xcelr8
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hogdoc

You can use M1 or Syn 3 in the tranny but you WILL have a leak at the shift shaft seal sometime down the road. Its not an IF, its a WHEN.
SYN3 in the trans of my '05 Road King w/30k (sold) and 5k on my '07 Electra Glide with zero leaks on either bike. The old gaskets & seals did have a problem, but I believe that has been corrected. All of the Screaming Eagle Bikes come with SYN3 in all 3 holes straight from the factory.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:53 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

i go to my local farm store and get the 85w140 gl5 gear lube. it's rated for use in farm tractors. there isn't anyhing that gets harder tranny abuse than farm equipment. these harley transmissions are kid **** compared to farm tractor trannys. i got it on sale for $2 a quart.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:54 AM
UltraDave
Road Captain

The oil debates are always interesting and a good read. Campincowboy probably said it best that it's not the oil typeyou use but not doing regular scheduled services that kill it.

BTW, I use Syn 3 in all the holes.

Old 02-16-2008 | 08:40 AM
choochoo
Banned

Given; some people don't know how to change their oil, and some people live where there
are restrictions about doing it.
But you can learn to do it and you can find ways around the restrictions.
Best drain pan I found was an empty antifreeze bottle.
Leave lid on, layit on it's side, cut a whole in the upper side.
It will hold four qts. and doesn't slosh much when carrying it to dump in bigger container.
To dump, just unscrew the lid.
Oil filter I've found if you take a screwdriver and punch small hole at bottom on the end and
let the oil drain out, you have less spillage when you unscrew it.

I wouldn't say you were stupid, gullible maybe. Dealer is always trying to sell you something.
It's their job. And if you show any sign of being unsure, they will press their advantage.
So LEARN YOUR BIKE INSIDE OUT TOP TO BOTTOM! Even if you have them do the work.

Old 02-16-2008 | 08:52 AM
Neil
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hogdoc

You can use M1 or Syn 3 in the tranny but you WILL have a leak at the shift shaft seal sometime down the road. Its not an IF, its a WHEN.
hogdoc,

Where were you when I changed over to Syn3 in my tranny? I have that damn leak and could have used that info before hand !! I now have to deal with it. Any short cuts? I really don't want to have to pull the primary. I am now running Mobil synthetic 75/90 gear in the tranny.

Old 02-16-2008 | 09:01 AM
choochoo
Banned

For years (in the old days) Valvoline 20-50 was the only oil to use in V-twins
Things haven't changed much for me since then.
I still use Valvoline religiously, never had an oil related problem.
Use the semi synthetic mostly about 1/2 cost of the full syn.
Still get 3k between changes.
Use a carquest oil filter, made by wix. never a problem
Tranny, I use 85 / 140 semi or full syn, still no problems.
Primary I am using up the numerous bottles of V-twin I got for $1.00 a
bottle, when local indy went to a different brand.

Old 02-16-2008 | 09:13 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

The great oil debate rages on . I am running Mobil 1 20w-50 in my 120, Redline Shockproof Heavy in the trans and Dexron III tranny fluid in the primary. Am I right in my choices, who knows?But it keeps me happy and feeling secure that I have done what I can to keep everything lubed up.

For those that have never run Redline in the trans, when you drain it, it comes out almost looking like a strawberry milkshake, and you can actually feel the friction modifiers in the fluid. It has quieted down the tranny somewhat. You can get Redline products by online/mail order from Summit Auto Parts in Ohio.

The Dexron III in the primary is at the recommendation of Primo-Rivera (I am running a Primo Pro-CLutch) and makes sense. Automotive transmission have clutch plates similar, if not the same as HD wet clutches and the tranny fluid is specifically designe to work with wet clutches and to provide lubrication, but most important is that the oil in the primary is used for cooling of the clutch.

Bottom line is there are those that have run automotive oils in air cooled engines and some have lasted well beyond what you would expect. Run a good oil, changed it at regular frequencies (5k for syn engine oil, 10k for trany and primary) including changing the oil filter and washing or changing the air filter element and you will most likely never have an oil related failure. Matter of fact, I can't ever recall a failure that was specifically tied to a failure of the oil, most if not all are mechanical failures due to either abuse, lack of maintenance or just plain wear.

Quick Reply: Stupid stealership or stupid me(prob just me)(long post)