Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes on an 08 w/ABS, info...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apes on an 08 w/ABS, info...

"People are putting the W0515 (10" Chubby apes) on there 08's w/abs with no mods." That was a quote from http://www.hdbikeparts.com/or wild1hd when I asked him about putting apes on my 08. I am just wondering if anyone has put 8.5 or 10" apes on their 08 with ABS, and did they have any cable length issues? The only one I see an issue with would be the brake and I don't want to order them and find out the brake line is to tight or just too short. I'm sure this guy knows his stuff, but just wanted someone elses opinion.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 PM
blueride
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Apes on an 08 w/ABS, info...

I've ordered the 8.5 apes from Wild1 for my 08RG w/abs. I had toorder from them directly, rather than Drag, for the electronic throttle modification.I don't think I'll have to change any cables, but I'll let you know.

08 RG
97 RK

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
El Pesado
Banned

Buy whatever bars you want,then buy the cables that fit. Dont let your stock cables dictate what bars to buy...

Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Copper Hog
Cruiser

I was told that there was not exension option for the ABS hose. It is a single piece and there is not a MOCO option for extending that piece.

My dealer was going to work on an aftermarket set of pullbacks to see if the stock ABS hose would work. Haven't heard yet if it will work.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM
El Pesado
Banned

Does your brake line run straight from master cylinder to caliper? If so it doesnt matter if its abs or not.You can buy longer than stock brake lines all day.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Haven't tore mine down to check, but looking at the parts book I just bought, it appears the brake line from the lever goes to the ABS unit located under the right side panel and then a seperate line goes from the ABS unit to the T-block under the steering head and then into the two lines to the calipers.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:30 PM
El Pesado
Banned

Find out how much rise your stock bars have compaired to the new ones. Then remove your brake line from master cylinder to abs pump/motor and take it to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses/fittings.Tell them you need the same line but plus xx inches longer.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one has posted to this in a while, did you every get teh brake lines to work out. My HD dealer says there is no one making an overlength hose to fit this and had no idea who in my are could make one for me. Thanks! -Harry

Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
No one has posted to this in a while, did you every get teh brake lines to work out. My HD dealer says there is no one making an overlength hose to fit this and had no idea who in my are could make one for me. Thanks! -Harry
I went with H-D RK Chrome high bars and everything worked with no mods. But I know you can get longer ABS lines for the 08's through http://www.johnnyvaughn.com/
Several people on here have done the mod.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the longer clutch and brake line from Johnny Vaughn. Both the clutch and the ABS are fine after the mod.

Quick Reply: Apes on an 08 w/ABS, info...