Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?

Here was mine-

Took my bike into the dealer for the following:

Install Michelin Commanders, front and rear. Use customer supplied dynabeads in each tire and pull wheel weights. ***Save front tire and return to customer.***

Check and adjust (if needed) primary chain.

Adjust clutch.

The above was written up by the service manager, and I was given a copy.

I returned the next day and here is what happened:

Bike was "ready". They gave me the invoice for the following:

Tires
Tire mounting
Adjust Primary
Adjust clutch
Gasket for primary inspection cover
Gasket for Derby cover
Shop supplies etc.

I paid the bill, asked for my tire and got a blank stare.

Showed him the work order and he went into the shop....came back after 5 minutes with a "sorry, the tech threw it out and it has already been collected."

No offer to make it right, no sincere apology, just a feeling like "you don't really need it anyway, so what's the big deal".

I was polite, but inside was getting pissed. Not because of the tire, but because of the attitude. I told them I really wanted the tire for a friend who like dunlops, so they gave me the card of the service manager (who was out that day) and told me to call him the next day, he *might* be able to work something out.

I continued to be polite, but now I could not get out of there fast enough.

I was not a mile down the road and realized that the clutch did not feel at all different. Pulled over and took a look.

They had NOT pulled the derby cover, nor had they pulled the inspection cover!!!

I had just finished paying them outlandish labor to adjust the primary and the clutch, AND had paid for both gaskets....and they had not even done the work.

Now I was really pissed. Lit a cig and was thinking about going back there and having them do the work I had already paid for, while I waited ......

AND THEN I SAW that the LED light on my tour-pak had been smashed and glued back together!!!

My being pissed was slowly during to absolute amazement. Maybe they meant to do the primary and clutch and somehow got mixed up and one guy thought another guy did it.

But no way could they break the LED lense and then super glue it back together without knowing that they did it!

Now I started going over the bike more carefully....I was 100+ miles from home and did not want something falling off on the way home!

Axle nuts were tight, everything else seemed ok, except for the 2 inch scratch to the metal on my tank that had magically appeared while at their shop.

I decided right then that I would NEVER let those losers touch my bike again.

I know **** happens...if they had just told me that they broke the LED lense and glued it back together instead of trying to hide it, (and later deny it) it would have been no biggie. But to break **** and then try and cover it up?

Rode over to another dealer, had them document that the clutch was out of adjustment, and that neither derby cover nor inspection cover had been removed. They did a bit of work on the bike right then, while I waited (at less than half the price of the other dealer).

When I finally got ahold of the service manager of the dealer that had scratched and smashed my bike, AND charged me for labor and parts they did not provide, AND threw out my tire, it turned into a multiple call song and dance to finally get a store credit from them for all they charged me for and did not give.

I wrote off the tire, smashed lense, and scratched tank. Not worth fighting with them over it. Oh, he did say to check back periodically, that he would grab a tire pulled off another bike and give it to me....but I really don't want to go near those people again.

I did take my wife to the chrome depar

Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?

Now that really sucks. They would be buying me a new tank and light. My dealer here is much better than that. Other than the overpriced labor ($70 per hour), they actually do a decent job of working on my bike, other than the one time I did call them on something, and they fired that service tech. They made every effort to keep me happy.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that is wrong....... I would have went right back and talked to the owner or GM that's just plain thievery.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had some work done at their Murfreesboro location. The service manager and tech reps there have done a good job and are friendly. They frequently have a good discount (20%)on parts and clothing. It sounds like you may have found a nest of the other type of service personnel. I agree with Ironhead3fan: I would have committed myself to getting a new light and tank as a minimum.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 AM
twilliams
Tourer

I too have had work done at the Murfreesboro location. The last time the bike was there the service manager came out and told me there was a problem. Brought me back to the service bay and pointed out a tiny nick in the tank that the tech created and told me they were not equipped to fix it there. He offered that once it was cold out side and I was not riding they would come pick it up and take it too their paint shop and then return it too me free of charge of course.

Was I pissed that they scratched my tank....a little but I was extremely impressed that they fessed up and are going to take care of it. I have another dealer that is much closer to me and I will not take my bike there ever again for service, I had fork seals replaced there a few weeks ago after I did a chrome slider swap myself and had a leak. After picking up the bike I still had a leak and a scratch on one of the upper sliders......I took it back and they fixed it but they were not happy about it.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:57 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

THERES A MILLION STORIES OUT THERE LIKE YOURS.. SORRY TO HEAR WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU. 1ST THING YOU DEAL ONLY WITH THE STORE OWNER IN YOUR CASE. MOST MCY TYPES WHO WORK IN DEALERSHIPS ARE USELESS AND COULD NOT CARE LESS. ALSO WRITE A LETTER TO THE MOCO ABOUT YOUR ISSUES WITH THIS DEALERSHIP. OBVIOUSLY NEVER DEAL WITH THEM AGAIN.

HERE'S A NOTHER STORY TO MAKE UR DAY...

A BUDDY OF MINE TAKES HIS BIKE IN FOR A BRAKE SQUEEL. MCY COMES OUT WITH NEW PADS. THEY SAY "IT'S ALL SET"! RIDES DOWN THE ROAD... BRAKE LEVEL IS PULSATING WHILE BRAKING. U TURN! WHEN THE MECH PUT THE MCY ON THE LIFT HE CLAMPED THE ROTORS RATHER THAN THE WHEEL/TIRE AND BENT THE ROTORS!!!! THE "MECHANICS" AT SOME DEALERS ARE FUNNY! I HAVE OTHER GUYS I RIDE WITH THAT WILL ONLY ALLOW THE LOCAL HD SHOP TO SERVICE THEIR MCY'S.. I SCRATCH MY HEAD ALOT!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM
RKCustom
Novice

If you need anything else done, take it to Southern Thunder in Horn Lake. I've been dealing with them since Bruce Rossmeyer bought the dealership. Talk to Dennis, he'll treat you right. Best service and prices in the area. My sonbought the black fork lowers and covers for his Streetglide. Bumpussaid it would be $440.00 labor (4 hrs). Southern Thunder said $228.00 labor (3 hrs).I took my bike to Bumpus to have them dyno it before I installeda Dynojet.Told them whatI was doing and why I wanted the numbers. When I took it back, after installing the Dynojet, I was told they won't do the dyno with the Dynojet installed. WhenI explained to them that I had told the service writer why I wanted the previous dyno run and that he had said nothing about them not putting it on the dyno with the Dynojet installed,that they should refund me the $75.00I had already paid them. He said sorry and walked off into the service department. Obviously that was the last time I've ever dealt with Bumpus.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:13 PM
DKSS07
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ripper43

Now that is wrong....... I would have went right back and talked to the owner or GM that's just plain thievery.
I agree, There is no way I could have kept my cool as you did.[:@] These bikes are very pricey for you to be treated like that.Sorry that you got that type of treatment. Sounds like you have found a better place to go.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

Man that sucks.Just curious,where do you throw out a tire these days? Already been collected?Sounds as if the Tech got it.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
firewatch
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is premeditated homicide still illegal?

Quick Reply: What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?