Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:07 AM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would have been on a Harley 20 years earlier if it was not for the a**holes at Bumpus in Memphis when they were on Summer. Harley was king and they were ******. Now after finally getting over them and joining the Harley family, I deal with Southern Thunder (expensive but friendly), if I am not ordering eBay and doing the work myself...

Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 PM
deezee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrooks1963
You will never get your best deal on a new or used bike at Bumpus. All of their new bikes are prices at above MSRP and they will low ball you on your trade in. When purchasing a bike from them they will give you a 10% discount on any parts you buy at the time of purchase, but if you have them put them on you will spend about 50% of the price of the parts to have them installed (at least that was my experience). We did a MDA ride towards the end of the summer with about 100 bikes starting out on the ride. At least 3 people purchased new bikes at our stop at Abernathy's.

If you want a better deal on bike pricing try Abernathy's in Union City and purchase your parts from one of the many HD dealerships that give you a 20% discount without sales tax.
Im not looking to nit pick, but thats the most ignorant chit..lol
Bumpus is an MSRP dealer......that means they wont sell one ABOVE MSRP. You can say what you want to, but they matched any and every deal within 125 miles from them when I purchased my sg from them last year. To tell you the truth, they even added some extras.

Now Im not sucking Bumpus ***, I dont go on any of the rides, but I shopped around for a while before trading my old ride in. I would have gone to Bost or Abernathies if the deal was better......Bumpus ended up giving me $1000 more than I thought I'd get out of the trade(that was before the used market fell plumb out)....I got a very fair deal. I know more than a few that bought from Bumpusin Jackson and all of them worked a fair deal. I can just about guarantee that Bumpus Jackson will meet or beat Abernathys on any new bike if youre serious about buying. Bring them in a quote given to you by Abernathys and see what theyll do....lol

What it comes down to is location, and who you really want to support, cause the West Tn dealers are within pennies of one another if you know how to deal.........But dont be a fool, cause theyre gonna try to get what they can! Wouldnt you???????

Last edited by deezee; 12-23-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by twilliams
I too have had work done at the Murfreesboro location. The last time the bike was there the service manager came out and told me there was a problem. Brought me back to the service bay and pointed out a tiny nick in the tank that the tech created and told me they were not equipped to fix it there. He offered that once it was cold out side and I was not riding they would come pick it up and take it too their paint shop and then return it too me free of charge of course.

Was I pissed that they scratched my tank....a little but I was extremely impressed that they fessed up and are going to take care of it. I have another dealer that is much closer to me and I will not take my bike there ever again for service, I had fork seals replaced there a few weeks ago after I did a chrome slider swap myself and had a leak. After picking up the bike I still had a leak and a scratch on one of the upper sliders......I took it back and they fixed it but they were not happy about it.
Was it Cool Springs? Just wanting to avoid whichever dealership did not fix the leak and scratched the slider.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:41 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have bought a bike from Bumpus in Jackson, wasn't a killer deal but average. Tried to buy everything there since they are 30 miles away. After being screwed not once, not twice, but three times on some service stuff, I said cya and have not and will not go in that store again. I know several people that have gotten better deals at Abernathy's than Bumpus. I really don't even know if Bumpas in Jackson is open and don't care, I never look their way going down the interstate.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:54 AM
KAH24DupontChevy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bumpus Harley Davidson is OK so-far, will update...

I'm a recent transplant to Collierville TN and have had good experiences with Bumpus HD on Whitten Road and in Collierville thus far. I say thus far because I have only lived in the metro area since early 2009.

Here are my thoughts:

1. GOOD: Traded in my '01 Fat Boy for $8900 toward the purchase of a Rocker C. Everything went well, and considering my Fat Boy had 31k miles, but was otherwise mint--I can't complain as I anticipated the lower purchase price by a dealer. My parts and accessories were 15% off due to the MVP program purchase, a good deal for the price. I bought the Rocker C at MSRP. Carla Glass was the sales rep and she handled the purchase to my satisfaction. The security system wasn't set up properly, but was handled to my satisfaction.

2. TO BE DETERMINED: Am in the process of purchasing a 2010 Silver Street Glide at MSRP. The only sticking point sofar was that I negotiated a bike with cruise control and security. I know that is what I negotiated, but found that the bike doesn't have security. I have an email from Carla Glass in sales saying that security will be installed as it was the dealer mixup. I've ordered $2k in parts for this bike at the MVP discount, and will report back once the deal is sealed. If the bike is delivered at the price quoted with all accessories (Rinehart, Stage 1, SE Race Tuner, etc) at the price quoted with 15% MVP discount--and all is fine then I will say fair.

I will say my experience has been good at this shop unless something goes awry with the Security System that I know was quoted in my price. I will say that the MVP 15% discount on accessories at purchase is a good deal if you buy lots of parts/accessories.

Will report back regarding the security system, but will believe that they will make it right.

Merry Christmas to all,

Karl

Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 AM
KAH24DupontChevy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update: My New StreetGlide & Bumpus HD is good by me!

My last post I mentioned that I was buying a 2010 Silver FLHX (cruise, security, non-ABS); however, the security system was not present even though quoted in the price. I brought it up and no problem, security installed by dealer. The MVP membership is well worth the $79 or $99 I paid earlier this year, as I saved over $400 just on the accessories I put on this bike alone--including the Rineharts with chrome caps, Stage 1, and SERT, plus a Brawler solo saddle, chrome forks, and a bunch of other things.

I took a few pics yesterday while checking my new ride out. Paid for, and just waiting for the rear LED brake light conversion to be installed (turns the lower fender light into a brake light).

Will be picking her up and riding home to Collierville from Memphis on Saturday (cold but sunny).

Happy New Year!

Karl

Attached Thumbnails  What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?-silverstreetglide123109new0001.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 03:20 PM
motorcyclelockman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 2007, I bought a New ultra from Bumpus Collierville. Peggy gave me an excellent deal on a new bike. Could not have been happier with them.
The day before, I was at Southern Thunder at their Grand opening. Rossmeyer and Arlen Ness were both there. I could not even get a fat *** out of a chair to give me a price on a new Ultra. I was very pissed. Went looking for Rossmeyer but he had leaving in his Hummer with ness went I went looking for him. Went to Collierville the next day and had the bike before 2:00 on a Sunday. Always great service, Except for the $300 oil change at 1000 miles (Young and dumb on Harleys) then. Went back this past summer and had stage 1 and Heat management done. Great service.
I"M JUST SAYING.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:32 PM
ropin4gold
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Bumpus in Murfreesboro. My buddies 95 Fatboy throttle was sticking while we were on a ride. He talked to a tech and the tech came out in the parking lot and got him back right in 5 mins. (no charge!)

Thier bike prices are high, but they have a good selection and good parts/ acc selection. I buy most of my parts from them and they are further away from my house than 2 other dealers.

Can't speak for the memphis/ jackson locations as I haven't been there.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Defonic
6th Gear

I have had nothing but bad experiences from Bumpus in Murfreesboro service department. One experience was they were installing new wheels on my bike for me for $156, there turned out to be a problem with the rear wheel so they put my stock wheels back on it, I asked them to. Next thing you know I received a bill for $500. Then here recently I got a quote from them to get a cam installed on my road king and I got a quote for $1240. So I called around to other Harley service shops and every other shop was Almost $500 cheaper to do the job. I also had worked in a free 1000 mile service from them when I bought my bike, when I took it into get the service I received a bill for roughly $300 or so I don't exactly remember. I finally got it straightened out, but it was an unnecessary hassle. Bumpus of Murfreesboro service WILL NEVER touch my bike again.
I have recently referred a few friends to them to purchase a bike and two of three of them bought a bike from another dealership because the bikes were thousands cheaper. Bumpus just didn't seem like they were really wanting to work out a deal. I have recently sent them an email to voice my comments to their store manager but have not received any feedback from them at all. They do however have a great selection of parts and accessories and the MVP program is great. Thanx for letting me rant a bit

Last edited by Defonic; 10-27-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing I will go there for is parts. They don't *** rape you any worse than any other dealer and the parts guys are pretty nice. Their sales staff is arrogant at best. And their bike prices are insane. The motorclothes girls are OK, but after I special ordered a jewelry item for the ol, they never did call me to let me know it had come in, even though they assured me several times that they would. With several other dealers in a 30 minute drive from Bumpus of Murfreesboro, it's just nicer to deal with someone else. If you're not too far away, the store at the Columbia exit off I-65 has got the nicest people and very competitive prices.

Quick Reply: What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?