Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Jsans
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumpus is bumpy?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 AM
mountian man
Cruiser

Bagger,I like the apes on the 05,I'm going that way myself.I have the stock bars on the bike now,I'm sure I will have to change the cables and lines,What did you use ?Stock plus 4" on the length.What kind of bars are they?
Hate to here about the bad day at the dealer you had.Its a shame there is to much of this going on all over the country.Looks like as much as we pay for these scoots they would care about quality business.But some don't.Thank GOD there are still some good ones out there.Its just painful weeding out the bad ones.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
fatboydan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought tshirt from there once when I was passing thru....

Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
capt42a
Road Master

I bought my 08 FLHX from Bumpus in Jackson, TN.and they have always done right by me, when I bought the bike I didn't notice there was a scratch on one of the saddlebags, the salesman (David) told me about it before signing the papers and the service writer also told me about the scratch before I accepted the bike along with telling me a new lid was ordered and he would call as soon as it came in and set up an appointment to have them replace it. Overall my experience with Bumpus in Jackson, TN. has been positive. I also talked to the service manager (Glynn) about putting Harley's Heavy Breather on my bike with only the Harley download, he told me it might make the bike run too leanwith just the download but he would put the bike on their new dyno and give me a air fuel ratio reading to make sure it wasn't too lean, for free. I may be getting special treatment, or not,because I occasionally ride with some of the people that work at the dealership.
capt42a

Old 02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
olemiss8
Intermediate

Got my 08 FLHX at Bumpus Collierville. Sales, finance were great, but service dept. I was not impressed. I take my scoo to Southern Thunder and order asscessories too. But I could not buy a scoot from Southern Thunder in Horn Lake, sales people suck

Old 11-29-2008, 09:46 PM
bbrooks1963
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I will have to also put my 2 cents worth in on Bumpus in Memphis and Collierville. I agree that your best bet for service in the area is at Rossmeyer. The hourly rate is lower also.

Last edited by bbrooks1963; 11-29-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:48 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Men, thanks for sharing. This is one reason why I return to this forum, so I can learn the pros and cons of owning a Harley.

I am about to purchase a 2009 Electra Glide Classic from Bumpus in Collierville. My saleman has been a pleasure to work with. He has gone out of his way to make me happy with my purchase. Also, he will be giving me a voucher. This voucher will allow me a free 1000 mile service.

My million dollar question (after reading this thread) is should I trust Bumpus in Collierville to do the work or should I just take it some where else. I too, dont want some incompetent tech and service dept. working on my brand new scoot. Even, if it's free.

Thanks again for sharing and thanks for your advise.
Merry Christmas to all!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 PM
REALBOB
Advanced

I share your pain. There can be bad employees in any dealer. I had a similar experience at another dealer. Also been working on bikes & cars longer than most employees there have been living. When I had my lousey experienced over warranty work at another dealer I went straight to the owner. The owner convinced me that the lousey performance was unusal & did my 1st service & oil changes free with synthetic oils. I also got a free siren for the alarm sys. & $100 store credit to buy more goodies. Yes, I checked every inch of the bike out for scratches before I signed off on the work; like always with every vehicle.

I believe one of the causes of poor workmanship & lousey customer service is partly due to the past demand for the HD's; almost like they are doing us a favor waiting on us. OTOH, now with the world economic crisis, attitudes are slowly changing.

Last, when I went to get warranty work done on a new bike with a blown engine,( < 1200 mi.), I was told that they couldn't even speculate when the work would be completed because the shop was full with 75+ other bikes in for warranty work. Upon checking with Bumpus, they reported similar numbers. Consequently it took over 6 weeks to repair. I don't know of any other consumer product that is that painful to own.
08 FLHTCU

Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 AM
bbrooks1963
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hyperfocal

Based on my experience, you will probably have no problem with the 1000 mile service. It is basically just an oil change, transmission fluid change and a change in gear lube (for about $300). As a word of advice, I would insist that they use synthetic lube in all three holes.

Just from my experience, I would never take my bike back to Bumpus on Whitten. When I first purchased my bike, I had a problem with a rattle from the clutch handle. While I was in there I also decided to had a chrome tail light cover put on the bike. They did a great job with the chrome cover, but never rode the bike to hear the clutch rattle. Needless to say, 2 miles from the shop I knew it wasn't fixed.

The next weekend I took it to Brett at Bumpus Collierville and he was able to fix the problem in about 10 minutes after test riding the bike. One of my biggest problems with the service department at Collierville is the shop fee that they charge and can never exactly tell you what it is for. Good luck!

Quick Reply: What has your experience been at Bumpus HD?