Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the bars on an ultra be pulled back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:43 PM
gordo 2050
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the bars on an ultra be pulled back?

I am thinking I may be a tad more comfortable if I could get the bars back about 3/4 of an inch.
Can this be done, and how hard is it to do????

Or, would I be better off getting a different set of bars????

Any advice would help.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts
Default RE: Can the bars on an ultra be pulled back?

Very little adjustment in the bars on an Ultra. You could rotate them downward a bit and maybe gain some, but it might screw up your grip angle. You could look at the pullback bars or maybe Wild 1's, but then you'll probably be looking at cable swaps too.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get the touring pull backs. You can raise the bars slightly up or down but it will not make much difference at all in terms of length closer to you. Not 100% sure about this so see what others say and talk to a service tech at you dealer. You may want to try the up down motion first as bar replacement and cables with labor will cost you a pretty penny. May also be able to get by without replacing cables and brake lines.just not sure. If you are 6 feet tall with an arm length of 34 inches you should be ok. Hope this helps. Installing new bars and grips and cables and lines can beexpensive if you cannot do the work yourself. Adifferent seat may also help.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 AM
mllkn6
Tourer

I have an 06 Ultra and have been thinking about the pull back bars also. Does anyone know what cables I will need or have a part number for them? My dealer is like you are killing them to ask any questions at all in their parts dept. They are strictly sales oriented, no service at all. thanks

Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3/4" is no problem if that's all you need!!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oxy acetlyne torch. Heat and stretch or cut and splice in.

But in reality.
You would need to look in a catalog and compare dimensions of other bars, that have a 1"
longer pullback, but still maintain mount spacing and width to fit under the inner fairing cap.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 AM
KY HDRider
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the 2" pull-back bars installed on my 04 Ultra. Love them, no more sharp pain between the shoulders. Here are the parts my dealer used:

55914-98 2" Pullback Bars
45212-97B Front Stainless Steel Braided Brakeline for Touring models
38649-98 Cable, Control Clutch
38650-98 Throttle Control Cable
56730-03 Idle Control Cable

Good riding,
04Ultra

Old 02-15-2008, 01:30 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '03 Ultra.
I installed the electra glide pull back bars http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Though it says you need clutch cable it's a fable. you don't need throttle cables or brake line either. You don't need wireing harness for hand electric switchcontrals either.
But, Harley wants you to buy all of it. Like I said, on my "03 Ultra, it all fit fine. The extention gives such comfort it made the difference I was wanting. Perfect!!

chappy

Old 02-15-2008, 01:40 AM
azhole
Road Master

As far as tilt, yes. My bars on my 99 ultra came loose and I had to raise them back up cause they kept coming back and down. That angle is hard on the wrists when you pull in the clutch, even if your clutch has an easier pull.
I had to remove the fairing and radio to access the two front bolts for the bars, then the ignition switch has to come off, simple if you read the shop manual, and the little fairing part there, actually switch panel, needs to be moved out of the way to access the rear bolts. Allen head. You may need to cut the allen length down to get into the rear bolts, but it's really not too much work, as long as you have the tools and some time and a shop manual.
The 3/4 inch won't cause your controls to hit your tank, but after adjusting the controls to your comfort have to see where everything hits.

If you want to tilt the bars back, just drop your bike and pick it up by pulling up on the handle bar and it'll get loose eventually[][:@] I picked mine up twice and they were loose after that, till I tightened them up.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:59 AM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the pullback bars as well. If you have an opportunity to sit on a bike with them installed, it would help you decide what is best for you. At first, I thought that I had made a mistake making the change; now, I am very comfortable with the pullbacks.

Quick Reply: Can the bars on an ultra be pulled back?