Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Great Debate ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:54 PM
mpiazza2000
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Great Debate ??

Well Here is the Dilema it is time to select my pipes for my new Street glide and I have read and read and still confused on which pipe to go with. I have at lease narrowed it down to 2 Pipes Either the Thunder Header 2 into 1 or the Rinehart True Duels. I have read Pros & Cons for Both Pipes and was curious if anyone has done a side by side comparison on a Dyno to see what Pipe performs better and how the Torque/ HP Curves look.

My Bike will be done in 2 Phases where the first Phase will be The Pipes , SE Air Cleaner , And SE Race Tuner Tuning. Second Phase will be the full 95 Kit which will include Cyclinders Bored , New Pistons & Rings, Heads Ported Polished and Flowed , Woods Twin Gear Cams Installed, Adj Push Rods, Dyno Tune , Ect.

Does anyone have a SE Map that they can Emial me that would handle the FIrst Phase ReMap with either the Thunder Header or Rineharts

I am baised towards the Thunder Header as I have had them on my last 2 EVO's . I like the Looks of the Rineharts and everyone seem to rave about them. I read there is a drop out on the HP/ Torque Curve with the rineharts. I also see you can get diffferent baffles and Rinehart is coming with a redesigned pipe in the near Future. If I go with the Rineharts any benefit to the ordering a differant baffle.

I will posting pics From Beginning to end and will share the Dyno info once I get it done

Help Help Help !!

Thx

MPP

Old 01-22-2006, 03:00 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,689 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Default RE: The Great Debate ??

Thunder headers work good if you can stand the noise![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-22-2006, 03:37 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thunderheaders are almost without equal in the torque area and are easier to tune than the rineharts and cost a little less since they have been on the market longer. You can go with the traditional 2 into 1 or the left side falsie if you need to maintain the dual look. In any case all Thunderheaders are 2 into 1 systems.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Performance aside I'd consider the sound level of either pipe if you are planning to use the radio/cd player while riding. Thunderheaders sound awesome but I would think they would make it extremely hard to hear your bikes' sound system while on the road.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:05 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I admit that the thunderheader is probably a better pipe for torque and hp but I just don't like the way it looks on a bagger. I love my rineharts. I noticed an increase in power immediately and have had no problems with mine. I have not yet seen the new ones but I thought they were already out.

Terry

Old 01-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Email BUB and ask then to send you a map. Chances are they will. I plan on putting on Rhinharts this spring but I will do a dyno tune the maximize results...

Old 01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Slider
Outstanding HDF Member

Either one will do well for you, it just depends on the look you like better.
My neighbor has an 06 SG and he put the Thunderheader on it. It sounds good, I just don't like the look of it. I just recently put on a set of Rineharts and I absolutely love them...I haven't asked my neighbor what he thinks...I don't care.
As far as the re-design on the TruDuals, all they did was change a hard mount to a clamp mount. The old hard mount on the rear pipe would break causing a hole in the pipe which then had to be welded. They basically removed that mounting tab and use a clamp to hold it in place. The dealer actually did this on my pipes before install.

ORIGINAL: mpiazza2000

Well Here is the Dilema it is time to select my pipes for my new Street glide and I have read and read and still confused on which pipe to go with. I have at lease narrowed it down to 2 Pipes Either the Thunder Header 2 into 1 or the Rinehart True Duels. I have read Pros & Cons for Both Pipes and was curious if anyone has done a side by side comparison on a Dyno to see what Pipe performs better and how the Torque/ HP Curves look.

My Bike will be done in 2 Phases where the first Phase will be The Pipes , SE Air Cleaner , And SE Race Tuner Tuning. Second Phase will be the full 95 Kit which will include Cyclinders Bored , New Pistons & Rings, Heads Ported Polished and Flowed , Woods Twin Gear Cams Installed, Adj Push Rods, Dyno Tune , Ect.

Does anyone have a SE Map that they can Emial me that would handle the FIrst Phase ReMap with either the Thunder Header or Rineharts

I am baised towards the Thunder Header as I have had them on my last 2 EVO's . I like the Looks of the Rineharts and everyone seem to rave about them. I read there is a drop out on the HP/ Torque Curve with the rineharts. I also see you can get diffferent baffles and Rinehart is coming with a redesigned pipe in the near Future. If I go with the Rineharts any benefit to the ordering a differant baffle.

I will posting pics From Beginning to end and will share the Dyno info once I get it done

Help Help Help !!

Thx

MPP

Old 01-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I've read here and elsewhere, for the best results for power on a Twin Cam, nothing beats a 2 into 1 system.
While a 2 into 1 might look funny to some on a bagger, I can't see the exhaust when my butt is in the saddle

Old 01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
redscout
Road Captain

I think I read just what Bruce did... Expert tuner claims he can get much more power out of a 2 into 1 setup than true duals. Faking the other side was his recommendation...

As for the physics behind this, well they were there, but it's easier to remember the end result than the specifics...