Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well heres an ethics question .........

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 05:32 AM
relli
|
Road Warrior
Default well heres an ethics question .........

so , got rear ended recently....gotta replace the lower half of tour pak......dealer ordered parts.

so yesterday i open the mail and allstate paid me directly instead of payin the dealer like they said. i can do the work for less than half what the dealer wants and have money left over for upgrades. what would you do???i know i originally intended for the dealer ta do it and he's ordered the parts but then again these are hardly strange or unusual parts that he'll have trouble getting rid of.

the only problem i see with me doin the tour pak is the rivets for the hinges. didnt i read where someone used chrome screws or bolts??? and i'd need a template for the trunk brake lites i had installed.

Old 02-14-2008 | 05:35 AM
chappy_2336
Cruiser
Default RE: well heres an ethics question .........

Who's to say that you dont charge 85 bucks an hour to put some screws and bolts in?? I'd do it myself and get me some shiny stuff.

Old 02-14-2008 | 05:36 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Didn't take me long to decide..........................Do the work yourself and use the extra money for something else for the bike. Get the parts from the dealer since he has ordered them, but take them home and do all the work yourself and pocket the labor costs.

Steve

Old 02-14-2008 | 05:39 AM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

Asthe song goes "D I Y do it yourself "

Old 02-14-2008 | 05:42 AM
cowkiller
Cruiser

Buy the parts you have to from the dealer then diy. It's not like the dealer is gonna do You any favors.

Old 02-14-2008 | 05:48 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I had a similar decision to make when I bought my RG. Dealer offered me a tour pac with quick disconnect hardware and complete installation as an incentive to buy the bike. I decided to install it myself and used the left over cash for a stage 1 kit and SE touring pipes. That decision took all of 3 seconds.

cmcsns
Road Master

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

Didn't take me long to decide..........................Do the work yourself and use the extra money for something else for the bike.

Steve
What he said

My bad, missed the part of the Dealer ordering the parts; IMO you should honor the purchase of the parts, the labor should be negotiable since I'd guess he didn't give you a better price on the parts if he does the labor?

kyote
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cowkiller

Buy the parts you have to from the dealer then diy. It's not like the dealer is gonna do You any favors.
Ditto.. get the parts from the dealer...and do it yourself ....

TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Uh....wait a minute here, fella's....IIRC, the dealer ALREADY ordered the parts for the repair. So, it's okay for them to be "out" on the hassles of ordering parts they don't normally stock???

I'm sorry, but you already agreed w/the dealer for them to do the repairs - IMO you have a higher moral obligation to fulfill. Now, if you go in and talk w/them and they're okay with you doing it yourself, then yeah- that's cool, and I'd likely do it. But it's NOT cool to just leave 'em hanging.

Old 02-14-2008 | 05:53 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

The brake light kit comes with a template, but if you still need one I have mine from installin' the kit on a king tour pac. I'm in Ormond Beach, near Daytona. LMK

Quick Reply: well heres an ethics question .........