Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well heres an ethics question .........

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 04:52 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: well heres an ethics question .........

Reminds me of years ago - had a new/used Suburban had literally purchased the night before. Got up the next morning to go get new tires put on. Truck was GONE. Cops recovered it before the first unit arrived at my house. Towed to local tire shop (all 4 wheels and BIG box of tools gone). Adjuster came out, I explained to him that the tires were essentially carcasses, that they were going to be replaced that day anyway. He writes out the loss check on the spot and gives me a copy of the loss report (in case anything is priced wrong or more work is needed than allowed for). I see "4 100% tires, $xxx.xx". "WAIT," I tell him, "You misunderstood - those tires were gone!". He looked me right in the eye and said that after 20+ years of theft adjustments, I was the FIRST guy who ever said the tires were of no practical value - and he figured that if they could lie about it and get it, he'd dang well take care of someone trying to be honest. Turned out that it paid off in the long run....by the time I'd totaled out the tool loss, their office was beginning to doubt me. He came back out, we talked - and he wrote out a check for the declared loss.

Now, stuff like that doesn't happen often - but sometimes honesty and integrity pays off in ways you wouldn't expect. No matter what else, at the end of the day the ONE guy I've gotta impress doesn't do so easily....after all, HE has holes in his extremities.

Old 02-14-2008 | 05:57 PM
relli
|
Road Warrior

wow. varied answers.FYI no fraud-check was made out to me.will chk ta see if they've ordered them.

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:19 PM
Bluerose

Hmmm...My check was written to both of us (me and the dealer).

IMHO...Get the parts from there, but if you can do the work yourselfthen do it.

The total hours they charged for mine were like 3 and they replace the engine guard, bag guard, front fairing, and tour pak. For my part it was a good thing...I got to know my service department which was well worth it. (I used to take my bike somewhere else) I found the Service manager is a bit off but the rest of the guys are really nice and willing to work with you. I had bought my helmet there at a discount and by the end they were offering to resell me one at the same discount once the check came in.

Did they only order the bottom of the tour pak? My dealer ordered the whole fiberglass shell then moved the lock, backrest, etc. to the new bag. They don't want to do more work then they have too. My Dealer had no intention of riveting those things.

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:21 PM
rickxx
Tourer

how will you possibly be able to sleep with yourself if you don't have the dealer do it ( or look yourself in the mirror or any of those other cliches). your word is your bond. are you catholic? i believe that's strike 3. do whatever will make you feel less guilty.

now me....i'd take the money and run.

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:21 PM
FLHXn
Tourer

Like the Nike slogan used to say,, JUST DO IT!!! (yourself, that is). Good luck!

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:54 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

When I was hit last summer, first thing I did was call my dealer to come get my bike. I wanted my bike taken care of by those that know more than non bike riding tow truck driver and by those that know me and my bike.My dealer knows I take care of my bikes and am pretty picky with who works onthem and rides them.I gave them my word to get my bike taken care of. I wanted my bike fixed the way it was prior to being hit. I wanted everything the way it was before the accident and I also wanted to make sure that if anything wrong after putting it back together, it would be up to the dealer and the insurance company to get fixed. Glad I did too, I amhaving the tank replacedas the dam clear coat around the gas tankisn't sealed right and is flaking/pealing.

Old 02-14-2008 | 10:17 PM
MACK
Road Warrior

HONOR THY WORD. NUFF SAID.

Old 02-14-2008 | 11:44 PM
olgreydog7
Road Captain

insurance covers you for cost of repairs, not what you spend on repairs. You are entitled to retail repair by the dealer. It would only be fraud if you tried to tack on some repairs that were not caused by the accident. Take the money, do it yourself, or at an indy, and use the rest for more goodies.

Old 02-15-2008 | 12:54 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

Sorry I have to disagree with you HogFather. The way it used to be was "a man was honored by his word" I sure miss those days.
ORIGINAL: HogFather

This has been the easiest question all day. Cash the check and do it yourself. That's the way it used to be.

Old 02-15-2008 | 01:10 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cmcsns

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

Didn't take me long to decide..........................Do the work yourself and use the extra money for something else for the bike.

Steve
What he said

My bad, missed the part of the Dealer ordering the parts; IMO you should honor the purchase of the parts, the labor should be negotiable since I'd guess he didn't give you a better price on the parts if he does the labor?
I agree with cmcsns...buy the parts you ordered from the dealer, and install them yourself so you realize the savings. Man I love cmc's avatar. There just gotta be something about a fresh cup of shut the fruck up. lmao

Quick Reply: well heres an ethics question .........