Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well heres an ethics question .........

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 12:22 PM
Aslan
Road Master
Default RE: well heres an ethics question .........

You made a deal you should honor it.
You wouldn't acceptany less from a man if you where on the other side of the counter would you?

Old 02-14-2008 | 12:28 PM
BillinNY
Tourer

I'm with the Pastor on this one, finish the parts deal you started with the dealer.

We purchase an insurance policy to compensate us for a possible financial loss...your property was dammaged..who determines the extent of the loss? The insurance adjuster, repair shop and you come to mutually agreed upon amount to compensate you for your loss. How you choose to satisfy yourself for that loss is up to you. The dealer should not bear a re-stocking cost for parts ordered on your behalf. But I don't think he is out of pocket for anything beyond parts. Further, I think you have to demonstrate to the insurance company that the repairs, no matter who does them,have been completed. That would prevent future claims on the same dammage.

ORIGINAL: Pastor John

Nothing wrong with doing the labor yourself, but I would honor the purchase of the parts from the dealer since that part of the deal has already been done.

Old 02-14-2008 | 12:52 PM
quackhead
Road Master

i say buy the parts from the dealer and pay them for the doing the estimate then do it yourself. most places have a minimum charge for doing just an estimate because it takes time to look bike over, look parts up and prepare estimate to give to your ins company.

Old 02-14-2008 | 01:26 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Again, I have NO issue with a DIY here (or on any other), but it's only fair to the dealer to speak w/them about the parts. If they haven't ordered them, then they deserve to be paid for the time spent doing the estimate (without which you'd have never gotten the $$$). If they HAVE ordered them, then yeah - you should at least buy the parts from 'em. I doubt there'd be any hard feelings w/you doing your own labor....

Oh, but one li'l bit of advice - if YOU screw something up on the repairs, it's gonna be YOUR problem to correct it....
#1 What's this crap about dealers going out of their way to order non-stocked items? That's their job! They are not out anything for placing such an order.

#2 Getting an estimate form a dealer or anyone else in no way obigates you to have them do the work. Giving estimates is also part of their job, with the hope that they'll get the job for being cheaper than their competitors. What would you expect the guy to do if he got more than one estimate?

Pay for the parts when they come in and do the work yourself if you feel qualified. Just don't leave them stuck with the parts like you seemed to imply would happen.

Old 02-14-2008 | 02:41 PM
backnasaddle
Tourer

Absolutely if the dealer has ordered the parts, go buy the parts from the man and install yourself. Use the left over $$$ for what you want.

Old 02-14-2008 | 02:45 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Whose names(s) are on the check?

Old 02-14-2008 | 02:50 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

This has been the easiest question all day. Cash the check and do it yourself. That's the way it used to be.

Old 02-14-2008 | 03:33 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

If the check had went to the shop as agreed, and you'd had the bike repaired, would you have felt that you were wronged or slighted in any way?

Then what's the problem with taking the check to the shop and getting the bike repaired?

If you don't, at least you'll know exactly how much your integrity is worth, the next time it's in question....

You don't have to agree, but you ask for opinions...I like to sleep at night...

Old 02-14-2008 | 04:12 PM
hawg50
Tourer

if the check is issued to you,and only you,there isnt a problem.but,most insurance companies issue the check the repair shop and the owner to prevent the owner from cashing the check and not repairing the vehicle.also,if the check is issued in both parties names,the repair shop is responsible for the taxes onthe check.i run into this often in my shop.

Old 02-14-2008 | 04:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

i've gone through this before (only on my car). i had someone break into my car by smashing the window so they could pry the factory cassette deck out of the dash with a crowbar. the glass was handled on the spot, the repair shop came out, installed a new window, and direct billed the insurance company. for the rest of the damage, i had an adjuster come out, figure out the damaged parts, cost, labor etc. the check came to me, but the name on the check was myself & xyz repair shop. now, in order to cash the check, the repair shop had to endorse it. in order to do this, i had to order some of the parts from them, (great time to put an aftermarket stereo head unit in there) but i was going to do the labor myself. they then cut me a check for the difference. the insurance adjuster knew that i was doing it this way from the getgo, his response 'the labor to install the dash is x hours, if you do it, then we are paying you for x hours of labor, if the dealer does it, then they get x hours labor....' so, i really don't see any ethical dilemma here, the only problem i see is that the dealer has already agreed to order the parts, if he has done so, then do the right thing and buy them from him. again, if thats how the check is made out, then you're gonna have to anyway.

i'll tell you one thing that i learned from this experience- if anyone ever totals my dash again, the damn dealer can replace it. that was the biggest pain in the rear!

Quick Reply: well heres an ethics question .........