Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well heres an ethics question .........

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:28 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: well heres an ethics question .........

If you want to be able to walk back into the dealership you should at least buy the parts from them.I'm suprised they ordered them without a deposit.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:29 AM
gunnert
Road Captain

The only ethics question here is why the dealer charges so much for so little! My .02, stick the money in your pocket and conduct the repairs yourself. Your insurance company has agreed to the cost for reqairs, now it is up to you to fix your bike. There is nothing written that even says you HAVE to repair your bike as long as there isn't a lien on it.

I for one have a problem with giving anydealer $80.00 + an hour labor rate to cover the boutique he built so he could make more money.....

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:30 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain

If the check the insurance company sent you was based on the dealer estimate, then the dealer should do the work. I can't believe you guys think it's okay to pocket the money because you can do it cheaper. If the cashier at the grocery store gave you way too much change, would you keep it, too? Not me, I don't want that bad kharma coming back around on me and it seems like it always does.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:34 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I agree with REDNECK. I am sure the dealer would notbe happy to see you walk back in to his shop and order something the next time. If you do that to me I would make you pay in full the next time. This is the reason we all pay order deposits on parts.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:34 AM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

Do it yourself and a rivet guns doesn't cost much.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:37 AM
Baggy
Tourer

If your scooter is paid off you can take it to a crusher and have it crushedif you like and spend the insurance money any way you choose.
I would get square with the dealerwhere you ordered the parts and go from there.[/align]

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:41 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: roxnatwist

If the check the insurance company sent you was based on the dealer estimate, then the dealer should do the work. I can't believe you guys think it's okay to pocket the money because you can do it cheaper. If the cashier at the grocery store gave you way too much change, would you keep it, too? Not me, I don't want that bad kharma coming back around on me and it seems like it always does.
....you gotta be kiddin me...you have no idea how many guys just go to a local shop, usually an indie..and get them to write up the biggest bill they can with every nut and bolt gettin replaced, everything aligned, and re-aligned etc, etc,...then the check comes, the owner gives the shop $100 bucks for writin the bill and does the work needed for half that. Any insurance company that bases what they allow simply on the shop estimate wouldn't be around long....the law allows only you to decide who touches your bike..if a repair estimate for a bike is based on a shop labor rate, why can't you charge that for your own work...trust someone who does this for a living, in the most regulated state in the union, don't let some shop get rich if you can do it yourself....(oh, and as far as the ins. company giving you too much money?....don't worry...they'll get it all back from you eventually....)....

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:59 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Do the work yourself and farm out the tasks you'renot comfortable with to the dealer.

Old 02-14-2008 | 08:00 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain

Haven't you guys noticed that your insurance isn't nearly as cheap as it used to be? Yes, repair prices have gone up but a good chunk of that is from inflated bills also commonly referred to as insurance fraud. I don't know if this particular situation would qualify as fraud but I wouldn't want to take that chance myself; maybe that's just me. I'm not siding with the insurance companies because they probably screw more people than they actually help but they're not going to lose any money so paying claims higher than they should be paid ultimately gets put back into your premium. I really hate paying insurance and taxes so I'd like to try to keep those payments as low as possible.

Old 02-14-2008 | 08:54 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Uh....wait a minute here, fella's....IIRC, the dealer ALREADY ordered the parts for the repair. So, it's okay for them to be "out" on the hassles of ordering parts they don't normally stock???

I'm sorry, but you already agreed w/the dealer for them to do the repairs - IMO you have a higher moral obligation to fulfill. Now, if you go in and talk w/them and they're okay with you doing it yourself, then yeah- that's cool, and I'd likely do it. But it's NOT cool to just leave 'em hanging.
My word is my bond. If I agree to something in writing or verbally I have an obligation to follow through until I complete it or Iam released from it, it has less to do with ther bike and the dealer and more to do with your subject line, which I believe was something about 'ethics'
...so what is your word worth?

Quick Reply: well heres an ethics question .........