Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well heres an ethics question .........

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:17 AM
Hogbroke
Novice
Default RE: well heres an ethics question .........

Cancel the bottom the tour pak from the dealer. Order one color matched online at 20% or check ebay. I belive there is one on there now. As for the hinges do a search for http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...TODAY.m238.lVI, were on there yesterday for 85.00. Real nice solid hinges that fit screw into existing holes.

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:19 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

I agree with the Redneck, you need to talk to the dealer and at least offer to buy the parts. If he's cool with that and so are you, then fine.

Personally, I'd feel obligated to buy the parts from him, since he already ordered them on good faith. The labor you can do yourself, so that's different, he doesn't have anything invested there so you can do that yourself and save yourself the labor cost and still be square with him.

Otherwise, how you going to feel about going in there again?

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:41 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain

That's your money do what you want with it. Spend half on your bike, and half on yourself.

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:46 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

Nothing wrong with doing the labor yourself, but I would honor the purchase of the parts from the dealer since that part of the deal has already been done.

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:48 AM
Doug45601
Road Master

Geez... I believe you should follow-through with the dealer repair... Insurance coverage for the repair may be excessive if you do it yourself but if things don't quite workout with you doing the repairs then you've got no one to blame except yourself. If the dealer runs into trouble doing the repairs, they will continue to work through it till it till your satisfaction is met!

If you feel skilled enough to handle the job... and save "lots" of the insurance money.. then do it... Your insurance company will be out and your dealer will also be out for their time to estime, order parts and make them avail to you.. They even probably ordered the parts without a deposit and for that matter provided a higher then needed estimate anyway..

Regardless... The insurance Co... paid up and if things get more expensive then you thought then it's all on you.. Be your own judge and leave the work to whoever.. In my opnion

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:50 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

Like Redneck said, if the dealer ordered special non stock parts for you then you should purchase them from him. Folks on here are always bashing the dealers for things they do, well how would you feel if you were the dealer in this situation. I worked as the Parts Mgr. for a dealership and what people don't understand is that if a dealer has to keep these parts in stock and gets the opportunity to return them to MOCO he doesn't get the full amount that he paid for the parts, he too has to pay a restocking fee to MOCO. Do what's right here, pay for the parts and if you want to do the install yourself then so be it.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:08 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior

Personally I think the only issue you have here is that the check from the insurance company was delivered to the wrong place. The payment you received was based on a repair quote from dealer for the cost of parts and labor to get your bike back to the condition it was in prior to the accident, you agreed to it....is your word worth nothing?

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:22 AM
jbhawley
Road Master

Save your $$$$$...DIY.
Generally the insurance co pays the policy holder and then the policy holder pays whoever.

You can replace all the rivets except for 4 with SS machine screws.
Replace the hinges, if you want, with new ones from ebay. Heres the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custo...QQcmdZViewItem
I have these on my tour pak and police saddle bags and they look great...and are held in place with the screws.

My stealer charged me 42$ to put in 4 friggen rivets...dont even get me started again on that one. But the screws will not work on the lid closure latches...got to have a special tool to put in the brad rivets...pop rivets look bad...IMO.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:24 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

buy the parts and do the job your self.....alot of times that is what people do downhere....

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:26 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Personally I think the only issue you have here is that the check from the insurance company was delivered to the wrong place. The payment you received was based on a repair quote from dealer for the cost of parts and labor to get your bike back to the condition it was in prior to the accident, you agreed to it....is your word worth nothing?
.... every state has different insurance regulations..I am an adjuster here in Mass so I can only speak for this state's laws. First, by law in Mass the first check for damages must go to the owner, NOT the shop, UNLESS, the owner has signed a "DTP",(direction -to-pay), which allows the money to go to the shop. So the check didn't nessasarily go "to the wrong place". Second, the ins. companies love nothing more than for the owners to do their own work because it saves them millions every year as owners do not charge near what a shop would for the same repairs. In your case if it is simple work that you can handle, then ya, why not pocket the money. Oh, and by the way, a good adjuster who KNOWS what's involved in a repair bases the estimate on his own knowledge, then negotiates the supplement with the shop, when they want the moon....a lot of adjusters don't know squat about bikes so when they get assigned one they just take the estimate a shop writes and copy it line-for-line...if during your repair you find more damage, or need more parts, call the person who wrote your appraisal and let them know, they can write a supplement for more cash....

Quick Reply: well heres an ethics question .........