Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fork oil and compression

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
streetgliding
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front fork oil and compression

Hope someone can help. I tried to do a search but it has not been working for a few days so I apoligize if this is a duplicate thread. Here is my problem, i purchased chrome forks complete (uppers and lower) through an exchange. I installed on the bike and was told i could add fork oil through the top and by compressing them, they would stiffen. They have somewhat but i am not sure how much they are suposed to sit up. I also just added a 21" rim so height looks diffferent anyway. Something just isn't right. Is there some kind of check and balance or measurement that i can do? They seem to be sitting too low. My touring manual doesn't explain it very well and is more for replacing seals, etc which requires pulling the forks apart which i was trying to avoid. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Front fork oil and compression

Fork oil has nothing to do with ride height, it sole function is to dampen the compression and rebound of the forks. The springs and preload spacer if used will set your ride height. Longer or shorter tubes will also affect ride height.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
streetgliding
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front fork oil and compression

Ya, i guess what i meant to say was the they don't seem to compress enough or rebound properly. After several pumps i got them to stop bottoming out. My understanding is the oil has to pass through the dampner and all the air needs to be released to accomplish this....correct? Thanks for your response