Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short antennas..do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: short antennas..do they work?

Crap...Is it just me? I like the look of the stock antennas

Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Green1340
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a pair of cheap ones off of EBay. FM/AM works fine. CB not so well, but who cares about that.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mandog

Crap...Is it just me? I like the look of the stock antennas
You got flags on top of those poles?

I put on a shorty from e glide goodies works fine. I had cut mine down and it worked fine too but it fell out. If you take it out to cut it down dont forget the loctite.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 PM
neurostudy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all. Just ran over to the Advance Auto 2 minutes to closing....they were thrilled with me! Bought the rubber shorty for $5.98. Got home, put it on, and reception in the garage seemed fine. WB, FM, and AM. The 08 is a different antenna and the entiremast needs to be unscrewed as stated previously in thread. There were no set screws so I was unable to cut it down.....thus went with a rubber shorty. Will see how it works on the road....looks 100X better than factory IMHO. Thanks again!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: tom73

Bought the shorty whip from Advance but lost a lot of reception. Ended up taking blot cutters to the bottom of the stock one and took 18 inches off of it. Works just as well as before and is much shorter now.
I wonder how far you can cut it without severely hurting reception? I cut mine down to 32", not sure where it was originally. Reception is excellent and length is much improved, not hitting me in the face every time I walk around the bike. Would like to cut it down more.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Yup. First cut mine down (from the bottom of course) but ended-up with the short JM unit. It's heavier guage, and looks very cool IMHO. Buddy has the internal antenna and it works fine....kind of a PITA to install (time, not difficulty) in my opinion.

SG

Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

30" length should be just fine for fm reception. AM may suffer a little at 30". That is what most car antenna's are. For those of you shortening the CB antenna, performance will drop drastically. And, if you don't check your SWRs (standing wave ratio) after changing antennasyou will probably "cook" the finals. If, as someone already said, "who cares about the CB", why not just remove the whole CB antenna? (It might be interesting to see "who" actually does care about the CB.....a poll?) Theycan be pretty handy, as well as entertaining I am told, when riding with a group.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 AM
papapuskit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a telescoping one tha tgoes from 9" to 17" off ebay, it has a signal booster on it. It works great!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 AM
BRO
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just received a Shorty Am/FM antenna for eGlideGoodies, model STY-B13, it's about9.5" long but it will extend out to 16.5". It is black with a little chrome circle in the middle. Looks good, I have tried all the other and the short rubber ones worked butwould have a little problem while on the open road. We'll see how this one works, plus I wanted a change. I will put it on after I put my tour pack rack on. This this is another option, it may even be made by JM.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago talking to another customer. He bent down to look at something and the buggy whip went right in his eye. Not good. I like the looks of the rubber shortys.

Quick Reply: short antennas..do they work?