Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking out the Cats on 4" mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Knocking out the Cats on 4" mufflers

NEGATIVE !

YES the V&H pipes, etc do FLOW better and are less restrictive but they are designed with a special baffle so the exhaust flows at a desired rate. Punched out stock pipes no longer flow like their designed to do. Also....how are ya going to get a map for that ?? You'd have to guess or dyno it. Your performance would be much better with a designed baffle system.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

I think this is kinda what SOCAL is gettin at....

Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: CREEPSHOW

ORIGINAL: Pumba11

Most aftermarket slip-ons reduce the crazy amount of restrictionthe the stock HD muffler has on our bikes. That is why most people get rid of stock mufflers to improve flow and increase tq and hp. I completely understand what backpressure does and that it is needed.

However, on this particular muffler that had an nicely baffled muffler that provides some back pressure, PLUS a flow choaking cat in each muffler was overkill. Removal of the cat eliminated "some" of the backpressure. It is by no means a drag pipe. It would in my opinion still provide more backpressure than most every V&H, Python, Wild Pig, Reinhart yada yada yada slip on muffler out there.

Just my $0.02
I agree. HD pipes are over restricted from the factory. That's one reason why they are so quite.

I gutted my stockmuffler and then welded pipe straight threw the center, "like a drag pipe". Performance was increased after converting my stock pipe into a 2-1 pipe. One would think the open pipe would only create power on the "top end" much like a drag pipe but, no. I think the difference is when making my header into a 2-1 there was restriction created where the two pipes meet making backpreasure. What I am saying is you never know till you try it....
I'm sure the 2 into one helped compensate for the loss of back pressure. No offense but does it sound OK ?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 PM
gashufferjim
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. jim

Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

My discussion of removing the cats has nothing to do with gutting the baffle system that is already in place. After removing the cats you still have a fully designed baffled muffler in place, just minus the cats.

Well I have tried, and the perfromace, low and high end did impove in this situation.