Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

South Dakota Laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: South Dakota Laws

Ticket for handlebars above the shoulders is not a fix it ticket. $20 on the spot before you're allowed to leave. You pay the cop. It's been that way for over 25 years. Google SD motorcycle handlebar fines and click on the full throttle saloons web it has all the fines and laws listed.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 AM
WrenchinRider
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Two years ago, I had 16" apes w/4" risers that were right at my shoulder height on my '80 wideglide. If I was not sitting straight up , they may have been illegal. I had absolutely no problems w/ cops in sturgis,or anywhere in SD. However, 1/4 mile across the Wyoming border 2 stateys pulled me over and gave me the choice to lower them then and there or take a ticket. Luckily, I had an allen wrench w/me,and was able to bring them back towards me enough to satify the leos. Was warned not to be seen w/them back up. Was also warned later in the day, that headlights must be on at all times. Allthough there is huge police presence in sturgis, usually you have to do something pretty stupid in frt of a cop to get ticketed.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree with the last statement in Wrenchinrider's post.
My experience and those of lots we talked, to was that the cops at Sturgis are just layin' for Ya.
Any reason to pull you over and you and your party will be. Then the fun starts. Our nieghbours at the motel, some nice lads from Colorado, got hastled on the service road between Sturgis and Whitewood. Two bikes were impounded, because they had beer on thier breath, but weren't impared. They purposely only had two beers each at dinner in town and waited for two hours before they rode. One of the fellas, spent the night in a cell with 4 cots, and seven other guys, his crime..... he had no motorcycle endorsement on his liscense. It was an honest mistake, he had recently moved to Colorado and the new liscense had come without the motorcycle endorsement, which he didn't notice.
Before anyone says, there must be more to it, the boys must of been smart mouthed etc, etc.
We've been down that road with these lads for an hour that night and again the next morning, nothin' else to it, and no disrespect. This guy was cuffed as soon as they found out he was riding without a motorcycle liscense, he was placed in the back of a cruiser and not allowed to talk to his brother. The bikes went on the hook, the kid went to jail, and they were all in a state of shock.
Not trying to scare you, Sturgis is a wonderful experience, but don't do anything that may cause you to get pulled over and make sure your machine and your paperwork are all up to date and up to standards.
By the way, this bad experience with the cops wasn't an isolated experience were we stayed, it was like riding a gauntle in and out because of the 6 different speed zones in about five miles and if you ride to town, put both feet down and come to a full stop at stop signs or you will regret not doing so.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
LeeFLHX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warden,

A little dated, but should be a good indicator. Been heading out Sturgis way for 16 years off and on. Things have changed in the 20+ years I've ventured out there but you can still have a great time if you are heading out for the August gathering. Here's a post for ya'.

You can always **** off the cops in Sturgis if you want to. I have seen them tow a bike parked just touching the yellow line in under 2 minutes so they will get you if they want to. Then again, with the "indecent exposure" issue, my wife decided to wear pasties 2 years ago to One Eyed Jack's. Basically walked up to 3 cops talking and she asked "is this okay" as she opened up her vest with the pasties properly placed.....cops all agreed that they were OK!!!!

Lee

These fine amounts are as of July 1st 2006....
City Ordinances

Ordinance
Code
Bond Amount

Indecent Exposure
#12.0802
$111.00

Open Container In Public
#13.0155
$61.00

Deposit of Filth
#12.0601
$86.00

Disorderly Conduct
#13.0102
$111.00

Careless Driving
#16.0219
$91.00

City Parking Violations
#16.0507
$10.00

City Trespassing
#13.0113
$111.00

Dog Running at Large
#1.0209
$56.00

Parking in Handicapped Zone
#16.0507
$100.00

Reckless Driving
#16.0218
Custody Arrest

Truck Route Violations
#16.0222
$91.00

Use of Sound Amplification Device:
#13.0116
Court Appearance Req.

Driving on Bike Path / Sidewalk
#14.0303/16.0216
$111.00

[b][font="lucida sans"][size=2]E

Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

Leeflhx, can we see what those pasties looked like just so we know for future reference.[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Twist n Smoke
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: outlaw0013

Ticket for handlebars above the shoulders is not a fix it ticket. $20 on the spot before you're allowed to leave. You pay the cop. It's been that way for over 25 years. Google SD motorcycle handlebar fines and click on the full throttle saloons web it has all the fines and laws listed.

Dont know what to tell you there. i been there a few times as well and that was the case but not this time they were all free with a (I remember now) it was called a Courtesy Notice none the less I was still gettin pulled over every day. Just trying to help.