Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Would you spend $169 for a system (TPMS) to check the pressure and temperature of your tires? $20K rolling down the highway at the speed limit, or just a bit over, on whatever air is in the scoot's tires.......Hmmmmm!?! Might be worth it. Now put your kid or Sig other on the back.....Hmmmmm......! I'm sure we all check the pressure when we leave...but what about a 100 miles down the road...Hmmmmmm!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Might - IF they were reliable. Problem being, ain't seen one yet that is. One mfr finally gave up and discontinued 'em.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

George, I hear ya. The technology changed and they are a bit more reliable (I think!). An old friend is the national mgr for the company....think I'll pick his brain!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Rev00
Tourer

Pressure Pro is a reliable system but most are designed for 4 wheels and up. Mainly RV's and Trucks. I'm very surprised they are not mandated for 2 wheelers. It would very easy for HD to add it on their new cycles.

Air up your tires to desired pressure, set the pressure in the TPM then it would alarm if Temp or Pressure varied more than it should. They could put 2 LEDS in the instruments to indicate a problem.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

"Mandatory"?!?!? PLEASE - stop trying to regulate MY choices!!!! All these gizmo's an' gadgets are nice - until they start failing!

Ric - tell yer buddy that if they want to field test a unit or two, ah know at least 2 folks (no, ah'm NOT one of 'em) that'll do 30k miles/year that kin tell 'em purty quick iffen they do the job.....

Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Have to agree with TexasRedneck. IF they were reliable I'd get one just to eliminate the aggravation of trying to get the gauge on the valve stem at the rear tire.[:@]

But I'm not convinced that they will last or are very acurate

Old 02-11-2008, 06:35 AM
Rev00
Tourer

Well George, I stated I was surprised they hadn't made them manditory. Didn't actually say I thought they should be. They could actually put the indicators in with the othervirtual instrumentation in the Manditory Helmet and Visor.

I don't have a buddy that sells them, but if someone is interested they can be found by searching Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems. The ones I've seen are way too big and bulky for a scoot. Two common ones are Sentry and Pressure Pro.

Where they really pay off is with RV's and Trucks. Lots of RV'ers have pulled a vehicle down the hwy on the rim because they couldn't see or feel they had a flat. Same with the trucks.

I have had several flats on my 2 wheelers going down the road. One which came off the rim. Now that was a ride!!! My EG can have a flat in you don't know it, until you get in a curve or the thing starts swaying. I'm very embarrassed to say that has caught me twice last year and I'm one that really preaches to pay attention to the details.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:35 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain

If they were reliable, I would get one. Easy decision.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm saving my money for the helmet air conditioner.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can not say if they are relaiable as I have onlyhad mine for two years. This spring will be the start of the 3rd year. So far so good. as far as accuracy goes the tire system alwaysreads 3# lower then my $50 shop gage, but I not sure which one of the two is the most accurate. Yes it does warn you with a flashing light when you are 7#'s low or high or if the temp is to high. When you frist start out it displays the pressure and temp in each wheel then after that if you want to see it you have to push the botton on the display.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System